TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Haze and scratches in clearcoat

Default Haze and scratches in clearcoat

I'm painting parts in an old German Heinkel Scooter. I had orange peel so I sanded it using 1000 and 1500, then used Meguiars 105 with a wool buff and Muguars 205 by hand with a terrycloth pad.

I have haze and scratches I can't seem to get rid of. It's disappointing and i'm not sure what to do next. I'm afraid to go at it again with the polisher for fear of burning through the clear. I'm thinking keep going at it with the 205 (a medium cut) by hand but maybe use something softer than the terry pad? It isn't that large a vehicle so I don't mind using elbow grease.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Finish is Spraymax 2k clear and a photo is attached. thanksClear.JPG

It appears that you didn't sand enough with the finer grit to remove the more coarse scratches. I'd recommend sanding with 2500 or 3000 grit wet paper then polishing again. If possible use a rotary buffer to help eliminate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It appears that you didn't sand enough with the finer grit to remove the more coarse scratches. I'd recommend sanding with 2500 or 3000 grit wet paper then polishing again. If possible use a rotary buffer to help eliminate the problem.

thanks. Would you use the wool buff again when polishing or use a foam pad?

Quote Originally Posted by smahoneybev View Post
    thanks. Would you use the wool buff again when polishing or use a foam pad?
    Yes, the wool and foam pads won't hurt anything but the DA takes FOREVER to do the job.