TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1967 Skylark, qtr panel extensions. Questions

Default 1967 Skylark, qtr panel extensions. Questions

77172199_934.jpg

When block sanding the quarter panel, I assume the extensions would be mounted and in place so that the lines are all smooth and consistent.

My question comes for final preparation. Should these be seam sealed? Or is it best to either mount on stand offs to paint or on a stand and then assemble after.

I feel that if they are permanently mounted, the paint will bridge the gap, and then during warm weather and cold weather, the paint would crack where it spans the two different parts, the extension and qtr panel. Or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks

Default Overthought !

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    77172199_934.jpg

When block sanding the quarter panel, I assume the extensions would be mounted and in place so that the lines are all smooth and consistent.

My question comes for final preparation. Should these be seam sealed? Or is it best to either mount on stand offs to paint or on a stand and then assemble after.

I feel that if they are permanently mounted, the paint will bridge the gap, and then during warm weather and cold weather, the paint would crack where it spans the two different parts, the extension and qtr panel. Or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks
    Often those extensions are seen set in a hair and NO to seam sealer. I have smeared a light coat of (windshield) black urethane upon some reassembling to avoid water leaks. You can paint them off the car so you have fresh paint on the quarters. When painted on the car on a normal repaint, there is no adverse effect as you refer to as "bridging". Your concerns have merit, regardless.

Henry

We've never had a problem prepping and painting them on the car. The metal under them has been protected by being covered so (normally) just taking care of the outer surface is all that's needed.

What I would do is first cut the area in with top coat paint (base and clear) on the quarter panel where the quarter extensions will mount. I would then put washers on the mounting studs of the quarter extensions so that you have at least an 1/8" gap between the quarter and the quarter extension. Then when you paint the rest of the car you will be painting the quarter extensions at the same time (guaranteed paint match).

When that paint fully cures then take the quarter extensions back off the car, remove those spacer washers and mount the quarter extensions permanently.
    When you do that make sure you use something like butyl caulk to seal around the mounting studs/holes. NO caulk in the body line between the quarter extensions and the quarter panels. Before you do any final painting make sure and test fit those quarter extensions to make sure the body lines line up. Pretty difficult to "tweak" them when they're final painted.

Like a lot of things in body work/paint work there is no "right way" to do most jobs. It's whatever works best for you. Painting the quarter extensions off the car in most cases works fine. I just prefer to paint it all at one time to make sure the paint matches (high metallics can be a bugger with paint matching pieces separately).

thanks guys, even you phil.
    The washer trick you are talking about are the stand-offs I was referencing so it's good to see I'm at least seeing all the options.

So it looks like I will mount them, block them in with the quarters, then take off for final paint.

Default Why are they there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    thanks guys, even you phil.
    The washer trick you are talking about are the stand-offs I was referencing so it's good to see I'm at least seeing all the options.

So it looks like I will mount them, block them in with the quarters, then take off for final paint.
    Paint as you prefer; on, off, just know not to scratch upon reassembly. ANYWAY know why they are there?

They came to be in the 60's for the sole purpose of damage control and were mounted on the quarters and many on the front fenders. See, before, if you got tapped in a low speed crash, the QUARTER itself took ALL the damage. These extensions, most, made of white metal actually BROKE upon being hit and hopefully avoiding quarter panel repair or need to replace. That was just in case you ever wondered. By the way, yours has a very nice fit.

Henry