TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Bare metal treatment

Default Bare metal treatment

Hello! New project, another 2014 Accord. My last salvage rebuild is going strong, now repairing my wife's deer hit, core support was ruined. Old one out, new one mocked up and ready. My concern is the bare metal that will be hidden at the seams, factory chassis was dipped, but what should I use to prevent corrosion? Weld thru primer? Something else? Or not worry about it? Thanks.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Hello! New project, another 2014 Accord. My last salvage rebuild is going strong, now repairing my wife's deer hit, core support was ruined. Old one out, new one mocked up and ready. My concern is the bare metal that will be hidden at the seams, factory chassis was dipped, but what should I use to prevent corrosion? Weld thru primer? Something else? Or not worry about it? Thanks.
    I would use good weld thru primer and seal the seams as much as possible.

Default Panel bond instead?

Thanks Len, I still have have a half a can of this from the last rebuild. My welding is not the best, especially on this thin sheet metal.. What is anyone's opinion on reinstalling this core support with panel adhesive? thanks.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Thanks Len, I still have have a half a can of this from the last rebuild. My welding is not the best, especially on this thin sheet metal.. What is anyone's opinion on reinstalling this core support with panel adhesive? thanks.
    I haven't used bonding on a radiator support, I've only used it for sheet metal patching.

that core support was probably spot welded. if you have a mig welder you could try this kind of kit:https://www.eastwood.com/spot-weld-pliers.html
    plug welding is easy to do and works very well.
    or this looks interesting:https://www.titespot.com/spot-weldin...e-spot-pliers/

in any case, i'd try to replicate the factory method as close as possible.

maybe len has some welding helpers in the store?
    b marler

Yes, I figured, should spot weld. I can sometimes get it beautifully, luckily I have the ruined core support to dial-in on... Thanks!
    Mike

Default Spot Welding

In most case I just punch holes in the panel then weld it to the underlying metal. This is the best tool I've found but the pneumatic tools are less expensive. The one shown below punches 5/16" holes and can also flange the metal. At this time it's $146.50