TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 1970 C 10 father son build. Paint gun ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2

    Default 1970 C 10 father son build. Paint gun ?

    My son and I are working on a 1970 C 10 pick up. We have been at it for several years, two steps forward four steps back,and since my retirement June of 2020 I have made some marked success. Living in SC we cannot leave the metal bare as we proceed with the body work. I have been using a Harbor Freight spray gun.
    My question is this we will most likely never paint another vehicle once we do this one. But I feel like if we cannot lay the K2 primer in a smooth flowing fashion we will never have a decent top coat finish. Without breaking the bank what would be your suggestion. I will try to add some photos. Thanks for any insight [ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    43,052

    Default

    As far as spray guns go it's like most tools, you get what you pay for. If you invest in a good quality gun you can always sell it online when you're done with it.

    The only gun I've found that produces a result better than the price paid for it is the Sagola 4600 Xtreme. I wouldn't recommend using it for primer but for top coats it can't be beat. We have people that were using guns costing twice as much but now only use a 4600. I'd recommend getting this gun with a 1.3XL fluid tip and a clear coat air cap, it comes with an HVLP cap at no additional cost.


    If the Sagola is out of your price range you could go with a DeVilbiss Finishline gun but remember you'll get what you pay for. Get a 1.3 fluid tip for this gun.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default

    As a "graduate" of this forum I will offer this. The price of a decent gun is well worth the investment. The costs of paints is high and if something is so rough you have to sand through half of it before getting rid of the lows, you are throwing away money quickly. Let alone the amount of time you are putting into it. I bought a DeVilbiss plus gun from Len when I did mine. This was the second, complete spray job I did and the first time spraying base/clear. My previous paint job was with a borrowed Binks #7 spraying Acrylic enamel. Take care of the gun by cleaning after every use and then sell it when you are done if you have no need for it after. In the grand scheme of thing, the price of the gun is pennies compared to the waste/heartache you can cause yourself. I came in here with many questions and learned from others who were willing to share their knowledge. I was never led astray by Len and the result was what I was hoping for.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kemptville, Ontario
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Like others have said, get the best you can. Look at it this way, you are only looking at the difference in cost between a great gun and a reasonable gun, whatever that is say $200-300. How does that compare to the money you have in your truck? Another way, in your own career did you want the best of equipment available? Probably because it made your job easier or better. Another way, years ago I did a lot of work on my knees and went through several $80 version of knee pads. One day I tried a set of $250 units, way better but the cost, wow. Talked to my wife about it, she looked at me and asked, "what are a set of knees worth?" I bought them, don't use them as much any more but in the grand scheme of life a small price to pay.
    You maybe able to rent a gun from a local supplier as well.
    Oh and show us more of your build.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    As far as spray guns go it's like most tools, you get what you pay for. If you invest in a good quality gun you can always sell it online when you're done with it.

    The only gun I've found that produces a result better than the price paid for it is the Sagola 4600 Xtreme. I wouldn't recommend using it for primer but for top coats it can't be beat. We have people that were using guns costing twice as much but now only use a 4600. I'd recommend getting this gun with a 1.3XL fluid tip and a clear coat air cap, it comes with an HVLP cap at no additional cost.


    If the Sagola is out of your price range you could go with a DeVilbiss Finishline gun but remember you'll get what you pay for. Get a 1.3 fluid tip for this gun.

    Thanks for the reply’s. Guess I need to rob the piggy bank. Thanks again

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,280

    Default ARE YOU KIDDING ??? (Mr. Modest!)

    Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    As a "graduate" of this forum I will offer this. The price of a decent gun is well worth the investment. The costs of paints is high and if something is so rough you have to sand through half of it before getting rid of the lows, you are throwing away money quickly. Let alone the amount of time you are putting into it. I bought a DeVilbiss plus gun from Len when I did mine. This was the second, complete spray job I did and the first time spraying base/clear. My previous paint job was with a borrowed Binks #7 spraying Acrylic enamel. Take care of the gun by cleaning after every use and then sell it when you are done if you have no need for it after. In the grand scheme of thing, the price of the gun is pennies compared to the waste/heartache you can cause yourself. I came in here with many questions and learned from others who were willing to share their knowledge. I was never led astray by Len and the result was what I was hoping for.

    YES, you are not only a graduate of this "ABS" but you have earned a 'literal' "DOCTORATE" in every ART FORM of this work. It may have been a handful of years since you finished your great project along with many, many years to get it done and I think you need to post a link to what you did do. Many new people here can be inspired by your tremendous work. YOU had to handmake SO many parts (not available) for this truck in the 13 years you dedicated to it.

    YOU have earned the respect of near all of the long term members of this forum and many, as I say, YOURS is the BEST restoration job of the site that we have been party to. I commend you again & again. You are PROOF that ALL & ANYONE with the desire, dedication and drive CAN get their projects done. Lots of work, lots of VARIABLES but yes, it can be done.

    My best to you!

    Henry

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    [B] You are PROOF that ALL & ANYONE with the desire, dedication and drive CAN get their projects done. Lots of work, lots of VARIABLES but yes, it can be done.
    That is exactly what I try to stress to people. At most shows I get the "crusties" as I call them, who ask if I bought it that way, trailered it there, did ANY of the work, etc. Once they find out the story you generally make a new friend and it restores their faith that the hobby is still alive. I may have told this before but while I was doing mine a friend gave me a Goodguys "Best rods of the year" issue. As I looked at all the beautiful rides one thing in common with everyone of them astonished me. They all were built at a shop and not by the owner. To the point that it was almost bragging rights on who did mine sort of thing. That was one of the reasons why I was so determined to do my own painting. That and I probably couldn't afford the labor/price involved. LOL Every time I've tried to get things done it normally turns out disappointing. I take the mindset that instead of paying the labor, I can use those funds to buy better tools and materials and be way better off in the long run.

    The Truck has been done for quite a while now and still looks like the day I finished it. A testament to the quality materials I used. Wore the first set of tires down enough that I had to replace them this year. Closing in on 17,000 miles driven. It's been around enough now that I get people who come up and say I was the inspiration for them to do their own ride, THAT is what it is all about and still blows me away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •