TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rust near windshield MKX Lincoln

Default Rust near windshield MKX Lincoln

Hi, Im considering a 2014 Lincoln MKX that is showing a good size rust patch near top of windshield, and there are a few other small patches in same area. Im wondering if this requires replacing the part itself, or if it could be repaired if stripped down to the metal. Iím concerned if itís not fixed properly it could compromise the vehicle safety.
    Please see photo. Any fix it info And suggestions would be great.
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the rust creeping out under the windshield's rubber seal? If so you may need to remove the class to do a proper repair that will last.

Yes, it looks like itís starting to. Any suggestions if this could be fixed without replacing metal? I donít want to keep doing this if itís just going to keep coming back. Thanks!

it's all about perforation. if there are actual holes in the metal then new metal is required for a long lasting repair. if you use a quality windshield shop they'll let you know the extent of the repair after the glass is out. the bad part is that you won't really know until the glass is out. and some shops won't re-install glass. they'll insist on new, depends on the shop. i'd make a few calls to your local glass shops. i stay away from the big national shops and prefer to go to the locally owned guys. look for local owned shops that have been around for years. they're the best.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
    Yes, it looks like itís starting to. Any suggestions if this could be fixed without replacing metal? I donít want to keep doing this if itís just going to keep coming back. Thanks!
    If it's coming out from under the windshield seal then you'll need to remove the seal/glass then repair and paint the rusted area the replace the seal and glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
    Hi, Im considering a 2014 Lincoln MKX that is showing a good size rust patch near top of windshield, and there are a few other small patches in same area. Im wondering if this requires replacing the part itself, or if it could be repaired if stripped down to the metal. Iím concerned if itís not fixed properly it could compromise the vehicle safety.
    Please see photo. Any fix it info And suggestions would be great.
    Thank you.
    " Iím concerned if itís not fixed properly it could compromise the vehicle safety. "

I'm curious why you feel that surface rust blister could compromise the safety of any vehicle ? It's just a rust blister. Hundreds of thousands of Michigan cars/trucks have the same rust blisters. Easy repair but not cheap because the windshield will need to be removed and the odds are way above 50/50 that the windshield will crack removing it. So a new windshield will have to be factored in to the repair cost. Without the new Windshield the cost of just repair the rust and repainting the roof will be in the $500 to $600 range to do it right. No idea what a Cadillac MKX windshield costs.

it's all about perforation.
    I think that is supposed to be preparation, Got to hate "smart" devices I have 71 Road Runner that somewhere in it's life had rust around the windshield(holes). Instead of fixing it the correct way somebody just hammered down the rust spots and bondoed it. I suppose it could have been repaired by fixing the rusted out spots (the inner structure was rusted also) but i opted to replace the whole windshield frame. Even if there where holes it's not going to effect vehicle safety. There are more that one piece of metal around the windshield. And who ever you get to do the repair have them take pic's to prove it's done the "correct" way.