TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Inner Roof Rust

Default Tight Space Inner Roof Rust

Awesome Forum! Thanks for letting me on. Big challenge ahead. 71 GMC 3/4 Father and Son FFA project. Trying to treat rust in the upper ceiling between roof and ceiling. Mice had made there home. Front inner ceiling I cut out and two sections near the top of the window. Limited access (approx 1/4”-3/4”) between inner and outer roof to get anything up there to treat the rust. I obtained some narrow and long brushes to get up inside to loosen any scale. My dilemma is getting up in there to treat and coat it. SEM makes a 24” long tube with a 360 degree spray nozzle for aerosol cans. My question is how best to treat it since I’m limited to an aerosol can issue. No one I know makes any gun adapters and tubes Small enough to get in there. My idea was after scuffing and getting out the scale with brushes; what is best to treat it and coat it? My plan is to obtain an aerosol rust converter up there then epoxy prime or zero rust? Have you guys got another crafty ideas or products best to work with? I’m trying to avoid removing the outer roof cap. 0772F193-CEDA-4D14-9A86-3F012858BAD7.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vorman; 10-12-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Re title and clarification

b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    Interesting stuff! First I have ever heard of. Might be an option. I wish there was a cheaper applicator/ gun available. Seems like a cheaper type of gun could do the job since finish isn’t a priority.

I used the Eastwood internal Frame Coating on my trunk lid. Pushed the nozzle up there and sprayed away in all the holes and recesses.

My car isn't done and is sitting in a heated shop, so I can't say how good or long lasting it is, but it did apply very nice and seems to have done a good job.

Your mileage may vary.,

We've been using 3M's Cavity Wax with the Wand Kit. The wands are tubes that attach to the aerosol and can spray the wax in enclosed areas. The wand kit comes with three different length tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We've been using 3M's Cavity Wax with the Wand Kit. The wands are tubes that attach to the aerosol and can spray the wax in enclosed areas. The wand kit comes with three different length tubes.

i like the cavity wax for clean metal, haven't used it over surface corrosion yet. have you?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post

So in your opinion would you think it would be best to use a rust converter then apply the Cavity Wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorman View Post
    So in your opinion would you think it would be best to use a rust converter then apply the Cavity Wax?
    When I use a rust converter I remove the loose rust, spray on the converter then work it in with a scuff pad then wipe it off and allow it to dry. If you can do all of that then spray on the wax but if you can't get to all of the rust then just use the wax because if the rust converter is left on the surface too heavily it may not allow the wax to bond well to the surface.