TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time body filling, tips to what I should use? (Pics included)

Quote Originally Posted by mellis18 View Post
    What I just learned from another site, and I will probably use, is the punch and flange tool. Instead of adhering the patch on the inside I'll create a flange area on the main panel, cut the patch to sit inside the flanged area and use panel adhesive to adhere. This will decrease the amount of filler needed. Does that sound like a better approach??
    That is what I did with my door handles being grafted onto my doors. Reason here was because the door skin is 16 or 18 ga and the handles were like 22 ga. Be sure to use rounded edges if you plan to weld as well, that way you don't get to much heat build up in the corners.
    IMG_20200322_141659.jpg
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Default Flanging corners

So I picked up a pneumatic flange tool and it creates a great flange on the straighter edges. Now my dilemma is flanging the corners. Any tricks out there on how I do that. I have seen where the corners were cut to round but I want to avoid cutting anymore good material.

So I picked up a pneumatic flange tool and it creates a great flange on the straighter edges. Now my dilemma is flanging the corners. Any tricks out there on how I do that. I have seen where the corners were cut to round but I want to avoid cutting anymore good material.
    Cutting SM round or oval is always the way to go for welding in patch panels when possible, just as Marten advised you reduce the heat which reduces hammer and dolly work, canning and over stressing and stretching the metal. The best advice I could give you is the least amount of heat, H&D work, grinding, etc., when replacing a panel the better off you are. If you have to squared off corners with overlapping flange edges, cut the corners out on both sides of the flange too it's depth and length of of the flange to remove the overlapping relief, but no more. I can do a quick pictorial if you need the instructions for this.

Default Pictorial

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Cutting SM round or oval is always the way to go for welding in patch panels when possible, just as Marten advised you reduce the heat which reduces hammer and dolly work, canning and over stressing and stretching the metal. The best advice I could give you is the least amount of heat, H&D work, grinding, etc., when replacing a panel the better off you are. If you have to squared off corners with overlapping flange edges, cut the corners out on both sides of the flange too it's depth and length of of the flange to remove the overlapping relief, but no more. I can do a quick pictorial if you need the instructions for this.
    A quick pictorial would be awesome!!!

This is where I'm at right now. I think a litle more trimming and I'll be closer to what I want. I will have to work on the bottom corners where they turn in to the under side.
    FF194136-8655-46CB-8910-A5C4012AA77E.jpg 6A7AAFD6-9EF3-40F3-8942-C0E2DAEE6ADD.jpg

This is where I'm at right now. I think a litle more trimming and I'll be closer to what I want. I will have to work on the bottom corners where they turn in to the under side.
    FF194136-8655-46CB-8910-A5C4012AA77E.jpg 6A7AAFD6-9EF3-40F3-8942-C0E2DAEE6ADD.jpg
    I think your struggle is going to be shrinking and working that panel in the middle when using panel bond adhesive (pic makes it look bowed out) to bring contour of patch panel in line with body contour. If you could find a way to weld this panel in I could work it out with little problem. Patch panel looks fine IF you were stitch welding it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I think your struggle is going to be shrinking and working that panel in the middle when using panel bond adhesive (pic makes it look bowed out) to bring contour of patch panel in line with body contour. If you could find a way to weld this panel in I could work it out with little problem. Patch panel looks fine IF you were stitch welding it in.
    It actually contours quite well with the existing panel. Light reflection makes is seemed a little bowed. There is some more massaging that needs to be done but for my first attempt at patching a panel I'm pretty happy. As I said this isn't going to be a concours show car...just wanted to get rid of as much rusted areas as I can and then drive...maybe to a couple local shows...but mainly just enjoy the ride.

A quick pictorial would be awesome!!!
    Working a squared off patch panel with under lapping flanges is not difficult when welding in as the underside flange works as a great heat sink to help absorb the heat when used in conjunction with stitch welding. I actually seldom weld patch panels this way as I prefer to match panel line to panel line and used panel clips or clecos. However, for your panel bonding I would square off my edges on the lower side like the following pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (99.5 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (98.0 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.2 KB, 55 views)

I'm not sure how well your magnets are going to work. The few times I have used a panel bonding material I made sure the panels were tight (less is better in most cases). You might consider panel clips to pull the panels in tight for adhesion. You would only need to cut a few tight slots for these to work. Hopefully somebody here can expand on using panel adhesive on a patch panel that needs heat for shrinking and manipulating the metal with H&D work as it could end up being a big problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg A.jpg (92.1 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg B.jpg (86.3 KB, 55 views)

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    That is what I did with my door handles being grafted onto my doors. Reason here was because the door skin is 16 or 18 ga and the handles were like 22 ga. Be sure to use rounded edges if you plan to weld as well, that way you don't get to much heat build up in the corners.
    IMG_20200322_141659.jpg
    This is classic stitch welding and manipulating sheet metal. Great job Marten! Look closely at his three pencil marks that keep panel alignment, very important for fitting patch panels. This is also known as "clocking" a panel for fitment.
    Last edited by Ronf; 03-26-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Smile

I believe it is working out pretty good. Need to do a little grinding on under corners but I'm kinda happy with results...being my first time.
    528F83E0-722D-4A14-83DB-A09B554CE8FB.jpg654B2D02-7DA0-4419-8871-05F19F8A5A11.jpg

Good for you. Always fun when a plan comes together. And learning something along the way is awesome. At least for me it is. Good work.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.