TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Gap filler

Default Gap filler

Hi guys working on my 87 300zx. Question is what can I use to fill in body gaps like between the ground effects and the body. For the life of me I can't get the ground effects close enough to make a tight fit. can I use a flexible body filler to fill in the gap?

IMG_20200913_120418.jpg

Is that a rocker panel cover and is the ground effect panel plastic or metal? Post a picture showing a larger area.

if that panel is very secure and won't move or vibrate, it seems like a good seam sealer might do it. it won't blend it to be invisible but could look like it was intended to be there.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if that panel is very secure and won't move or vibrate, it seems like a good seam sealer might do it. it won't blend it to be invisible but could look like it was intended to be there.

Thats what I was wondering, can you use a paintable seam sealer for a application like this? I never seen it used on the exterior of a body before. Just wondering if that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Is that a rocker panel cover and is the ground effect panel plastic or metal? Post a picture showing a larger area.
    Hi Len, its plastic, it covers the rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay87T View Post
    Thats what I was wondering, can you use a paintable seam sealer for a application like this? I never seen it used on the exterior of a body before. Just wondering if that would work.
    seam sealer is often used on the exterior. (think roof panel seams) but that part is plastic, and if it's flimsy (like a lot of them are) the seam will most likely fail. i've had some success filling plastic parts with 2 part foam to stiffen them up. as long as they don't get too heavy that could be an option. be sure to seal the foam with epoxy or similar if you do try that. you'll have to decide if the shape of the part makes it a candidate for filling.
    if you decide to try the seam sealer, use a good one. like the fusor 123/126ez.
    b marler

If the shape can be adjusted you may be able to warm it and bend the plastic to get it closer or better shape. Flexible filler would be OK if needed but a good flexible filler like Poly Flex would probably be my choice.