TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Durable paint for a open car trailer

Default Durable paint for a open car trailer

I was planning on using automotive single stage urethane. My supply shop recommended I look at valspar industrial paint. Anyone have experience with that paint? I'd be using the urethane line.

I painted my open trailer a few years ago. I sand blasted the whole trailer and spayed an industrial paint. Forgot the name but was very inexpensive. 2 years later the paint is failing. Rusting under the paint. Next year I will do it all over again. Sand blast it again and I will use epoxy primer and automotive paint with a flatting agent.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    I was planning on using automotive single stage urethane. My supply shop recommended I look at valspar industrial paint. Anyone have experience with that paint? I'd be using the urethane line.
    i've what i think is a similar product. cloverdale paints has a line of industrial 2k urethane that i use on equipment sometimes. i use a tintable epoxy first and top coat with the urethane. it's a very durable product.
    b marler

Yep, I'm already committed to the epoxy primer.

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    I painted my open trailer a few years ago. I sand blasted the whole trailer and spayed an industrial paint. Forgot the name but was very inexpensive. 2 years later the paint is failing. Rusting under the paint. Next year I will do it all over again. Sand blast it again and I will use epoxy primer and automotive paint with a flatting agent.
    was it a one part paint or a 2k? i use a ton of industrial paints and there's night and day difference in how they perform. another good way to go is to use good old rustoleum and add acrylic enamel hardener to it. i've used this over bare metal as well as epoxy coated. of course epoxy coated will last longer but performance over bare was pretty respectable too.
    for a car trailer i'd use a high quality industrial paint before i chose a cheap automotive grade paint. of coarse a more expensive automotive paint should be better, but i don't think the abrasion resistance will be as good as you get with the industrial line.
    b marler

I wonder how an industrial epoxy single stage paint would work on a trailer ?

The only epoxy paint I have used was on PWC's (personal water craft, like jet ski's etc).

I'm under the impression that most heavy equipment (the big stuff) is painted with an industrial epoxy.

Back in the day IMRON from Dupont (polyurethan paint) was the choice for semi trucks and trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I wonder how an industrial epoxy single stage paint would work on a trailer ?

The only epoxy paint I have used was on PWC's (personal water craft, like jet ski's etc).

I'm under the impression that most heavy equipment (the big stuff) is painted with an industrial epoxy.

Back in the day IMRON from Dupont (polyurethan paint) was the choice for semi trucks and trailers.
    all of the industrial epoxy i've used is meant to be top coated. they usually sell a system. epoxy foundation with urethane top coat. that said, i have a section of metal outside with only the epoxy on it and it's held up fine for 4 years now. i'm testing it to see how it holds up over time.
    there must be some with uv protection built in, i just haven't used any.
    b marler

Martin Senour has a single stage polyurethane paint. An imron type paint (I was told). I've painted wheels with it, including some aluminum wheels with the brightest silver availible. It has proven to be really durable. Something fell and hit one of the silver wheels about a month ago and I thought, ah, I'll have to touch that up but it didn't even leave a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by GasBuggy View Post
    Martin Senour has a single stage polyurethane paint. An imron type paint (I was told). I've painted wheels with it, including some aluminum wheels with the brightest silver availible. It has proven to be really durable. Something fell and hit one of the silver wheels about a month ago and I thought, ah, I'll have to touch that up but it didn't even leave a mark.
    Seems MS makes multiple lines of single stage polyurethane... crossfire, prism, tec/one... any idea which line you're using?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GasBuggy View Post
    i didn't think martin senour had an imron type paint. (polyester urethane) at least i don't see any on the website. those paints are fairly specialized though, so maybe it's just not on the site.
    there's no doubt the polyester urethanes are tough. the downside is they don't repair easily. they are also some of the most toxic things to spray. i've used imron in the past, but when i need a true polyester urethane now i will use awlgrip. i think us paints used to handle it, but now it's akzo nobel.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Seems MS makes multiple lines of single stage polyurethane... crossfire, prism, tec/one... any idea which line you're using?

Thanks!

I found the tech sheet. Prism M 60 Series Polyurethane.

PRISMŽ M is a high performance, low VOC, low HAP's, two component acrylic polyurethane topcoat. PRISMŽ M is an easy-to-use, high gloss, extremely durable, chemical and solvent resistant coating system. PRISMŽ M 60 Series can be air-dried and force-dried and is available in solid colors only. It is an extremely versatile product and is recommended for use on airline ground support equipment, beverage trucks, concrete trucks, DOT equipment, waste trucks, public transportation equipment and other applications. Additionally, PRISMŽ M Polyurethane is specifically designed for manufacturers requiring excellent hiding and sag-resistance. Conveniently packaged 3:1 for a production friendly manufacturing environment.