Thread: spray paint question: Why does clear coat wrinkle some finishes?

Default spray paint question: Why does clear coat wrinkle some finishes?

I am painting the rest of my race bike. I painted (with rustoleum) the tail end section of my bike last week.

Today I went to clear coat it (krylon clear coat). The majority of the piece came out ok, but one side got completely wrinkled. I dont understand how this happened.

Was the paint not fully cured?

Back to sanding and painting now I guess. But I dont think I'm going to clearcoat this section anymore in the future. For some reason, this ONE piece of the bike is prone to wrinkling (post clear coating). I dont know why. The rest of the bike is fine with the clear coat.

Thanks for any suggestions

Default hmmm

CBR-

Lets take a step back here for a second.

Are the fairings on your bike race plastics? like sharkskinz...or are they OEM?

How well did you clean them...I.E soap and water then solvent clean scuff/sand and repeat?

Do you have any pics of the wrinkling?

Is this happening on the whole fairing or just part of it?

If one of the fairings is a diferent material that can be a culprit for lifting, some materials outgas heavily and the minute you try and seal them with clear you could run into problems. IMO

I ran into a lifting problem while painting my gsxr but that was a solvent issue due to temp and primer that decided it needed longer to dry.

Default flex additive

for the fairings on the bike. do you need to use a flex additive??

Default Variables

Quote Originally Posted by cbr600
    I am painting the rest of my race bike. I painted (with rustoleum) the tail end section of my bike last week.

Today I went to clear coat it (krylon clear coat). The majority of the piece came out ok, but one side got completely wrinkled. I dont understand how this happened.

Was the paint not fully cured?

Back to sanding and painting now I guess. But I dont think I'm going to clearcoat this section anymore in the future. For some reason, this ONE piece of the bike is prone to wrinkling (post clear coating). I dont know why. The rest of the bike is fine with the clear coat.

Thanks for any suggestions
    If the rustoleum is enamel and the krylon is lacquer then that's your problem.

Default Painting Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by madvette74
    for the fairings on the bike. do you need to use a flex additive??
    If the plastic is a rigid plastic you probably don't flex additive but if it's not already covered with a good coat of paint you will probably want to use an "adhesion promoter" to insure a good bond with the surface.