TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Tacoma versus Tree

Default Tacoma versus Tree

It was a draw.
    Looking for suggestions or temporary repair approaches.
    Just looking to be able to open the door. (and hopefully close it)
    Door handle will need to be replaced.

Plan to replace the door and refinish it, once Votech is open post Covid.
    Can do more appropriate repairs in an autobody class.
    I plan to go to the three base Auto Hobby shops I can access and see if they have applicable tools

T1.jpg
    T2.jpg
    T3.jpg

This was an accident from February. Black ice, truck did a 270 before stopping on a berm and striking a tree
    Last edited by uaflyer; 08-02-2020 at 10:59 PM.

You can find a used door at a scrap yard. Look for a red one and you may be able to get by without painting it. I donít know if the damage to the cab corner is accessible from the inside of the truck with the seat removed but if it is you can pound it out with a piece of 2x2 and a hammer. You dont sound like you want to put much money into the repair. You may be able to leave the cab corner the way it is but may also need to do a little work to the door latch on the cab if it moved in the accident. If you are on the east coast I saw a red door for that truck in www.car-part.com but the same stock number showes up in ads from several yards. Call on the one you like and pick it up in person to avoid any posible scams. That said Iíve never seen any scams on car-part. Just looks funny, thatís all Iím saying. It may just be a marketing agreement between several yards all advertising the same part. Good luck.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    You can find a used door at a scrap yard. Look for a red one and you may be able to get by without painting it. I donít know if the damage to the cab corner is accessible from the inside of the truck with the seat removed but if it is you can pound it out with a piece of 2x2 and a hammer. You dont sound like you want to put much money into the repair. You may be able to leave the cab corner the way it is but may also need to do a little work to the door latch on the cab if it moved in the accident. If you are on the east coast I saw a red door for that truck in www.car-part.com but the same stock number showes up in ads from several yards. Call on the one you like and pick it up in person to avoid any posible scams. That said Iíve never seen any scams on car-part. Just looks funny, thatís all Iím saying. It may just be a marketing agreement between several yards all advertising the same part. Good luck.

Bob K
    Nearby, I can access three different Auto Hobby shops as a Vet, but probably most don't have much for autobody anymore. (no paint booths) One does have a frame rack.
    The parts site is probably okay, (may go out to the Bronx, as saving $200 is worth the drive) but at least gives some cost ranges. As noted, will fix it in an autobody class, but think any of the Vocational Technical schools won't have in person classes until 2021. I know the interior door panel is hard to get out without opening the door, but will try and check using a 2x4. I think wood and a porta power will move it. We are volunteer firefighters, so know how to open it. Just not without destroying it )

If you buy a used door you can cut the skin of the old door by the handle. I would bet the connection to the latch is damaged so using the handle doesnít release the latch. With the skin opened up some it will give you a chance to play around with the latch mechanism. It may be useful to try to save the interior trim panel from your old door as the one that comes with another door may be the wrong color.

Bob K

Default Another...

Another consideration is upon impact the rods, connectors and whatever came out of where they belong. I mean you could (usually) connect a wire to what actually opens the latch.

If it were mine and I just wanted to buy some time and get the door to work, I would use a porta-power from the inside to push the damage back out thus lining up that section to the proximity the latch needs to be in.

One end of the porta-power in the bad door section and the other against a heavy piece of wood (like a 6 x 6) resting on the B pillar (door frame) NOT against the other door. A couple - three soft pumps and the cave in would be back out. Then see what you need to connect or modes you need to make. Keep us posted and glad you are a member on the site!

Henry

I personally would go a different route. First of all that door is never going to open and close again. The door is junk and requires a replacement used door. Of the three pictures posted the last picture is the most telling of the extent of the damage. Look at the body gap between the cab corner and the front of the box. That cab corner is kicked in and back more than what appears in the first two pictures. One of the problems with pushing from the inside of the cab is you can't access the internal side guard impact beam built into (inside) the door. It's pretty stout, thicker than the sheet metal around it. That side guard beam is damaged and has a lot to do with trying to even just get the door off the cab. You already know that the door is locked in place right now.

What I would do is get an air chisel with a panel cutting bit and remove about a 2 foot square of outer door skin at the back of the door. That will give you access to the side guard beam. That side guard beam needs to be pulled out several inches. In the process of pulling that side guard beam out you will also be pulling the cab corner back into basic position. The odds are after pulling the door side guard beam the door latch is roached and will never function again (from the impact). You will probably have to cut the striker pin (that the door latches to) with a sawzall to get the door to open.
    Once you get the door off then you will have to reassess the damage to the pillar/cab corner to see what actions will be required to get the new/used door to latch and unlatch properly.

If you're looking for a quick easy temporary repair then from what I can see there is no quick easy temporary repair. Jobs like that were my favorite part of doing auto body work professionally.

You may have front hinges damage also. You don't show a picture with the front door to fender gap.