TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How to get less gloss

Default How to get less gloss

I will be spraying some Omni single stage grey paint. Is there any way to manipulate the mix or the application to dull the gloss? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MT99 View Post
    I will be spraying some Omni single stage grey paint. Is there any way to manipulate the mix or the application to dull the gloss? Thanks!
    We would add a flattening additive. The amount of the additive you mix in would determine the amount of gloss.

Yes but I don't have access to a supply store this weekend. Thirty plus years ago, a guy I worked with showed me a way to do this. I just don't remember what he did. Not a big deal. Just going inside the fenders which will be covered with chip guard anyways.

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by MT99 View Post
    Yes but I don't have access to a supply store this weekend. Thirty plus years ago, a guy I worked with showed me a way to do this. I just don't remember what he did. Not a big deal. Just going inside the fenders which will be covered with chip guard anyways.
    If you find out what the 'trick' was, come tell us. Thanks.

I know years ago, if we were painting with lacquer and it was humid or a damp rainy day, the paint would simply come out dull - all by itself! You didn't miss anything!

Henry

PS: Even had a name for it. Was called BLUSH!

Default Talc

Talcum powder does the job, I spent some time testing the amount to add and sprayed flattened clear on an old fender an it worked well. when it came time to do my dash I decided to use the proper product so I can't tell you if the fender stood the test of time.