TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New to the forum

Default New to the forum

Hi new to this from put not body & paint work. I did body & paint back in the mid 80s to the end of 94. The last paint a shot was sikkens it was great to use. I have painted everything from lacquer to Imron paint. Just a little about my back ground. Iím going to strip the paint off a old mustang & do the body work. After body work Iím going to shoot Epoxy. There wasnít high build primer when I was working on cars. We had Urethane primer that was thick. Sikkens urethane was like high build back then. I see people putting high build down then blocking it out. Do I need to put down anything over the high build for my final wet block? Sorry for being long winded. Iíll have other questions on down the road. Thank for the help

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
    Hi new to this from put not body & paint work. I did body & paint back in the mid 80s to the end of 94. The last paint a shot was sikkens it was great to use. I have painted everything from lacquer to Imron paint. Just a little about my back ground. Iím going to strip the paint off a old mustang & do the body work. After body work Iím going to shoot Epoxy. There wasnít high build primer when I was working on cars. We had Urethane primer that was thick. Sikkens urethane was like high build back then. I see people putting high build down then blocking it out. Do I need to put down anything over the high build for my final wet block? Sorry for being long winded. Iíll have other questions on down the road. Thank for the help

Brian
    No you don't need anything other than acrylic urethane high build primer for final blocking. (a guide coat would make your block sanding easier). In fact you can spray your color coat directly over final sanded acrylic urethane high build primer.

We used to spray sealer on all primer before we painted anything. Wet block it with 400 or 500 seal it then paint. All the paint lines recommend sealer over primer back then. Is everyone skipping the sealer nowadays? Thanks for the help

We used to spray sealer on all primer before we painted anything. Wet block it with 400 or 500 seal it then paint. All the paint lines recommend sealer over primer back then. Is everyone skipping the sealer nowadays? Thanks for the help
    It depends on the porosity of the high-build. In most cases you can just shoot a good quality color right on top but when we do a top-of-the-line job we may use a sealer or an epoxy primer to seal the high-build before we shoot the color. A dedicated sealer is best because it can make the application of the paint like painting on glass, it stops any absorption of your top coats into the primer.

Iím going to do the work in sections. What epoxy & high build primers do you recommend? On top coating the epoxy with the high build primer. Do I need to sand the epoxy first or can I spray the high build with out sanding if Iím in the cure time window?

We plan on keeping this car for every. So I what to use good quality stuff. What body filler do you recommend to? Iím thing about going with PPG for the paint. Should I use all PPG products then?

Iím going to do the work in sections. What epoxy & high build primers do you recommend? On top coating the epoxy with the high build primer. Do I need to sand the epoxy first or can I spray the high build with out sanding if Iím in the cure time window?
    Most epoxy primers have a "re-coat window" and you can apply your next coating after the epoxy dries but within that re-coat window. Once too much time has past then you need to sand in order to apply your next coating. Read the technical info for the products you're using.

We plan on keeping this car for every. So I what to use good quality stuff. What body filler do you recommend to? I’m thing about going with PPG for the paint. Should I use all PPG products then?
    PPG makes decent products, I'd probably go with their better products and not their less expensive ones. As far as body filler goes we are constantly trying different products but we usually go with Z-Grip because it's a quality filler that's easy to sand and is less expensive than most other quality products.

If thereís a better product please let me know. I said PPG because I was familiar with it back when I was working on cars. What products do you recommend I should use? Epoxy high build everything. You have been doing this day in & day out. The only paint product I have used has been Eastwood for my rock crawler. Iím not putting down Eastwood products they donít have the factor colors. Iím going to paint a buddyís car with Eastwood when it cools off a little here in Missouri.

If thereís a better product please let me know. I said PPG because I was familiar with it back when I was working on cars. What products do you recommend I should use? Epoxy high build everything. You have been doing this day in & day out. The only paint product I have used has been Eastwood for my rock crawler. Iím not putting down Eastwood products they donít have the factor colors. Iím going to paint a buddyís car with Eastwood when it cools off a little here in Missouri.
    In most cases I've been using the epoxy primer kit available from The Coatings Store linked at the top of this page and I recently started using Optex filler primer which also can eliminate epoxy primer because it can be applied directly to metal. I use Diamont or Glasurit base coat colors and Glasurit Clear for most of my high end paint jobs.

if you're not doing a factory match color on your buddy's rig you might look at the coatings store products linked at the top of the page. they have really great pricing and decent products. i shy away from eastwood as they are usually a bit over-priced. haven't used their topcoats though so i don't have much opinion there.
    be prepared to pay up for ppg high line paints as they're pretty expensive. you can drop a grand on topcoats in the blink of an eye. great products though, i use them for high quality paint jobs as the jobber near me carries it. i wouldn't necessarily use ppg for all the epoxy and primer though, there's a ton of good stuff out there for less money. i'm not saying don't use it if that's what you want though, it's a great product line for sure, and i've used it for decades. i'd like to use glasurit too but nobody here carries it.
    for priming a new project, i'd be looking at the optix super build. it's a dtm primer but i'm on the fence about using epoxy first. it's hard to beat epoxy for sealing things up. not sure of it's porosity so i'd be leaning towards a good 2k urethane sealer over it before paint.
    b marler

My buddy already bought the paint. It wouldnít have been my first choice. He over heard talking about using Eastwood on my rock crawler. So he found the color he liked & ordered it. I found a paint store by me the carries Matrix paint line. I have never heard of it. Does anyone know anything about it?

I've used Matrix before, clears are nice - color match was just ok for me. When I was buying their line (bc/cc), it was really affordable and seemed like good quality. I'd still be buying it, but the only distributor moved out of my area.

Do they have epoxy & high build primer? Has anyone used 5 star xterms urethane high build primer? A guy a work with has said it was ok but he has never used anything else.