TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Stud Welder Problem

Default Stud Welder Problem

I am trying to weld on a windshield molding clip pin. Once installed it only takes a small tap of the hammer to knock it off. The area is freshly sanded and also have tried different dwell times, (1/2 second to 2 seconds). The factory ones will actually bend without coming off. I have also used it for studs and they hold extremely well even when using the slide hammer.

I am using a new H&S Uni-Spotter 4550 along with their studs and the proper tip. I did several pins on another car years ago and didn't have a problem although I don't remember testing them.

Any suggestions? I might just have to go with the screw in pins for a peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
    I am trying to weld on a windshield molding clip pin. Once installed it only takes a small tap of the hammer to knock it off. The area is freshly sanded and also have tried different dwell times, (1/2 second to 2 seconds). The factory ones will actually bend without coming off. I have also used it for studs and they hold extremely well even when using the slide hammer.

I am using a new H&S Uni-Spotter 4550 along with their studs and the proper tip. I did several pins on another car years ago and didn't have a problem although I don't remember testing them.

Any suggestions? I might just have to go with the screw in pins for a peace of mind.
    It's hard to say what the problem could be, just make sure it's clean metal and you're holding the trigger long enough. Also be sure that the contacts on the gun are clean. I file mine once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 69-er View Post

Is that Uni-Spotter welder set up new to you or factory new ? Why I ask is if the pull pins are old they can be a problem getting a good solid weld. If they even have a tiny bit of rust on the tip it will screw up the weld making the weld weak.

If it's a new stud welder with new H&S pins and clean sheet metal then I have no idea what the problem is. Usually those three are a guarantee of success.