TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Suggestions on Pulling out This Damage?

Default Suggestions on Pulling out This Damage?

This is on the rear of a 69 Camaro. It was hit right where the bumper mount is. I started to push out the damage with a Porta Power with no success. I wasn't able to spread out the load and it concentrated the force directly on the left wheel housing and started to deform it.

Short of using a frame straightener, any suggestions out there using just a porta power? I can't see any other anchor point that's strong enough to push against.

IMG_2344.jpgIMG_2345.jpgIMG_2346.jpg

Your car needs some time on a frame machine.

We would tie the car down and pull out that dent by putting a hook through the tail light hole or brazing a pull tap to the panel.

To tie it down you could put a chain or rope on the front and tie it to a tree or something stationary then pull it at the other end using a come-along.

frame machine is best, but absent that, lens tree idea has worked for me in the past. the hardest part of that is figuring out how to secure the car so as not to inflict further damage. i wouldn't use a hook though, i'd weld a pull tab on it. ( or two, or three) so you can adjust where you pull from. use the porta power in the trunk to help push as you pull. it's could take a lot of force to move that as the rear quarters have come moved slightly to center from pushing that spot in.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    frame machine is best, but absent that, lens tree idea has worked for me in the past. the hardest part of that is figuring out how to secure the car so as not to inflict further damage. i wouldn't use a hook though, i'd weld a pull tab on it. ( or two, or three) so you can adjust where you pull from. use the porta power in the trunk to help push as you pull. it's could take a lot of force to move that as the rear quarters have come moved slightly to center from pushing that spot in.
    We use these pull tabs a lot for collision repair. I like brazing rather than welder them on because they come off more cleanly but welding is an option.