TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Newbie. Custom bumper cover

Default Newbie. Custom bumper cover

First time post. I am new to the forum. Been around awhile. I am not a body man, but I have done bodywork on a few cars over the past 30 or 40 years. Some of them even turned out okay. What I am wanting to do is customize an aftermarket fiberglass bumper cover. If you look at the pictures, the maroon bumper cover has a molded spoiler. It's a Shinoda bumper. I would like to replicate the spoiler. I am not interested in the lower ground effects portion. The Shinoda bumper is not available and I don't really care for the lower portion. It's going on a C4 Corvette. The replacement cover is not flexible like the OE cover. How would I go about doing this. I have worked with fiberglass, but not to this extent.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've done some customizing using fiberglass using foam and glass and that is probably what I would do with that bumper. I'd make the extension of the bumper out of foam but slightly smaller than the shape the foam as needed then cover the foam using fiberglass cloth and resin. I'd do the final shaping using fiberglass body filler and Bondo type filler. To attach the new material to the bumper you would need to grind the bumper to attach the new part using the resin.

Thank you for the good advice. It looks like I'm going to have to remove most of the top of the bumper cover due to the factory lip. I think that may change the method. Thoughts.

Thanks

bumper arc.jpg

Yes, I'd probably grind or cut away the high section and start creating the shape using the foam. It will probably taper into a thin layer of glass as it nears the back of the car. This is one of those jobs that's continually modified as you progress. Take your time.