TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 2 Questions

Default 2 Questions

1st- what is best product to remove compound and polish for painting? 2nd - I want to redue a fender w/more filler, does my filler only have to go on scuffed metal, or can I (if scuffed) go on any painted/prime surface? If yes what filler should I use, thx again Dana!

Quote Originally Posted by 39chevy View Post
    1st- what is best product to remove compound and polish for painting? 2nd - I want to redue a fender w/more filler, does my filler only have to go on scuffed metal, or can I (if scuffed) go on any painted/prime surface? If yes what filler should I use, thx again Dana!
    1. If you're going to repaint the surface you can use water and an abrasive sponge to clean the surface. If you just want to remove polish use water and some Dawn Liquid. It may take cleaning a couple of times especially if the polish has been allowed to dry on the surface.

2. Filler bonds to the surface much better if the surface is scratched and the first pass is pushed into the scratches. The type of filler depends on the correction you are trying to make. If it's a dent then you probably want a Bondo type filler and if it's just a slight wave you can probably use a polyester putty and if it's just a slight surface variation you may be able to use a spray-on filler/primer.

Default Hmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by 39chevy View Post
    What are some considerations in this statement, "I want to redue a fender w/more filler,"?

Do you need to add to the depth of the old filler, who put the old filler on, how thick is the old filler and are there ANY signs of weakness or cracking (even tiny) in the old filler?

Your best result is the reason for all the questions.

Henry

Default Questions comment!

Thx Len and Henry for fast response, I did it and need really to add (expand) larger area to get more flow flatness on fender. If I go to larger area it will be from factory 15 yr paint which is good!