TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sagola 4400 xtreme vs sagola 4600 xtreme

Default sagola 4400 xtreme vs sagola 4600 xtreme

For those that have shot with the Sagola 4400 xtreme and 4600 xtreme guns can you give me some insight into their difference? Years ago I was given a new 4400 xtreme (w/1.4 tip), tried it on a few panels and never touched it again. I "seem" to remember having a difficult time shooting a metallic with it but can't remember exactly what the problem was or why I never picked it up again. I only use top of the line PPG or Glasurit products, so it wasn't the products fault. I've no doubt the problem was me not becoming familiar with the gun and wanting to go back to my familiar Sata. So, if you can give some insight between the 4400 and 4600 I would appreciate it as I would like to take the time too learn the Sagolas true capability and maybe upgrading if deemed necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    For those that have shot with the Sagola 4400 xtreme and 4600 xtreme guns can you give me some insight into their difference? Years ago I was given a new 4400 xtreme (w/1.4 tip), tried it on a few panels and never touched it again. I "seem" to remember having a difficult time shooting a metallic with it but can't remember exactly what the problem was or why I never picked it up again. I only use top of the line PPG or Glasurit products, so it wasn't the products fault. I've no doubt the problem was me not becoming familiar with the gun and wanting to go back to my familiar Sata. So, if you can give some insight between the 4400 and 4600 I would appreciate it as I would like to take the time too learn the Sagolas true capability and maybe upgrading if deemed necessary.
    I've used the 4400, 4500 and the 4600 and my experience has been similar with all three. I've never used the 1.4 tip in any of them, it's been the 1.3 and the 1.3XL and the clear coat air cap in all three. I have a 4500 with a 1.3 and a 1.3xl in a 4600 and the results are similar but not exactly the same. Depending on the viscosity of the materials I'm spraying I've found that the 1.3 with the clear cap does a REALLY good job of laying the paint on like glass while the 1.3xl gives you a somewhat faster application speed but not quite as smooth.

Since I used the 4400 with a 1.3 tip I've never used another gun for single stage or clear coats. I've stuck with Sagola Xtreme guns for about ten years because I've found that they produce the best finish while the price of the guns is very reasonable considering what I get as my finished products.

i have a 4400 with 1.3 tip, but haven't used the 4600. but what i've heard from other owners of the 4600 is that it is a faster gun than the 4400. i think it may be more like the sata you're used to.
    personally, the speed of the 4400 is fine for me, but the key for getting the performance out of it is nice big hoses and high flow fittings. i tried once to shoot through 1/4 lines and quick connects and it was awful. i knew better but i thought maybe i could fake my way through it. paint turned out fine but i really had to make adjustments to my technique.
    now i always use 3/8 hose with the thread on flare fittings. what a difference. nice tall fan and great atomization. keep a rag with thinner on hand to keep the cap clean.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i have a 4400 with 1.3 tip, but haven't used the 4600. but what i've heard from other owners of the 4600 is that it is a faster gun than the 4400. i think it may be more like the sata you're used to.
    personally, the speed of the 4400 is fine for me, but the key for getting the performance out of it is nice big hoses and high flow fittings. i tried once to shoot through 1/4 lines and quick connects and it was awful. i knew better but i thought maybe i could fake my way through it. paint turned out fine but i really had to make adjustments to my technique.
    now i always use 3/8 hose with the thread on flare fittings. what a difference. nice tall fan and great atomization. keep a rag with thinner on hand to keep the cap clean.
    Which air cap are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Which air cap are you using?
    i'm using the clear cap. i'm sure i could go to the high flow quick connect fittings with the 3/8 hose, but the flares are working great.
    b marler

i'm using the clear cap. i'm sure i could go to the high flow quick connect fittings with the 3/8 hose, but the flares are working great.
    I loved the 4400 with the 1.3 and clear cap as well as the 4500. I haven't used a 1.3 with the 4600. I tried high flow fittings and didn't see any advantage but I may try them again just to compare the performance.

I loved the 4400 with the 1.3 and clear cap as well as the 4500. I haven't used a 1.3 with the 4600. I tried high flow fittings and didn't see any advantage but I may try them again just to compare the performance.
    Does the clear cap interchange between the 4400 and 4600?

"I've found that the 1.3 with the clear cap does a REALLY good job of laying the paint on like glass while the 1.3xl gives you a somewhat faster application"
    Just to make sure I have this correctly, your using the clear cap for shooting base, correct?

Thanks my friend, great advice. Like you I am not looking for speed, but something that lays like glass. After playing with this 4400 today I'm pretty sure I will be getting a 4600 from Len for base coat only, as for clear I still love my Sata 4000 rp (1.3).
    For air hose I use 1/2" rubber hose with devilbiss high flow fittings. As I use an AC aftercooler that is limited to 25 cfm I fouind the 1/2" hose works best for MY set up. AC aftercooler only goes to paint booth, not entire shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Does the clear cap interchange between the 4400 and 4600?

"I've found that the 1.3 with the clear cap does a REALLY good job of laying the paint on like glass while the 1.3xl gives you a somewhat faster application"
    Just to make sure I have this correctly, your using the clear cap for shooting base, correct?
    NO, the air caps an fluid tips are not interchangeable between the 4400 and the 4600.

NO, the air caps an fluid tips are not interchangeable between the 4400 and the 4600.
    However the company now offers all 4600s with the HVLP air cap and any other cap of your choice.

Default 4500

If i may hijack a little...what are your settings for the 4500 when shooting a high solid clear with the 1.3..I still get a little peel and know it can be done better.

Quote Originally Posted by fresh paint View Post
    If i may hijack a little...what are your settings for the 4500 when shooting a high solid clear with the 1.3..I still get a little peel and know it can be done better.
    I normally set the inlet pressure at 29psi with the trigger pulled, wide open fan and that's about it. Are you using the clear coat air cap?

I normally set the inlet pressure at 29psi with the trigger pulled, wide open fan and that's about it. Are you using the clear coat air cap?
    Yes. Whats your normal overlap ? I do about 50%. How many turns on fluid ?

Overlap can vary depending on the products you're spraying, the gun you're using and the temperature in the room. In most cases I overlap 50% but more importantly I watch the surface to see the result of my spraying and adjust my speed and overlap accordingly.

not sure about len, but i run my fluid wide open.
    b marler