TheCoatingStore.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Marten's '53 build

looks like a perfect fit, nice job. funny how those replacement pieces are never really right. is from continuing to use the stamping die after it's worn out? or are the dies just not right from the get-go?
    on another subject, how did the column turn out?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    looks like a perfect fit, nice job. funny how those replacement pieces are never really right. is from continuing to use the stamping die after it's worn out? or are the dies just not right from the get-go?
    on another subject, how did the column turn out?
    Not sure about panels. Seems odd to me but from all I read it is normal. Guess as long as we put up with it, nothing will change. I wonder if the original vehicles were all different from worn or loose stamping machines.
    For the column, stay tuned. I have not finished it yet. Spent this past weekend working on the body, More on that shortly.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Ok so I started writing this yesterday and then my wife distracted me with apple crumble.
    With the front panel replaced attention went to the back. Started with a new panel from Mid Fifty. Right away I new I was in trouble with more ill fitting panels.
    20201010_142650.jpg
    Hope you can see that. The panel wraps around the back of the truck and this is the front. So off at least 1/2". What to do now, not impressed. Ended up deciding to keep the original folded part at the door and cut the new panel to suit. A line was marked to keep 3/4" of the original from the bend. No magic here, just the width of the tape.
    20201010_142735.jpg
    After cutting out the old cab corner and laying out the new one I ended up with another problem. Now I can get it to wrap around, almost any way. Then the bottom does not line up. More challanges.
    20201011_110758.jpg
    More slicing and dicing and I got it to fit, finally.
    20201011_165740.jpg
    All tacked ready for final welding.
    20201011_165748.jpg

Not sure how to change the pictures that are sideways. They are right when I insert them. Can a geek or someone fix them for me.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

nice fit up marten, it almost seems like the repair panel is designed for you to cut it to pieces and use only what you need, not replace the entire part. as long as the radius areas end up in the right place you're good to go. you're using contour gauges i hope?
    b marler