TheCoatingStore.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Marten's '53 build

Marten your work is OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work there Marten.

Understand the wiring part. I'm adding modern side mirrors to one of my sports cars. I am adding remote controlled mirrors and turn signal lights from the mirrors to the car. Trying to follow all the wires under the dash while upside down looking up isn't what I would call fun.

Red face

So, apparently I was doing some of the wiring wrong. You should not use those crimp on connectors as they come loose. You should solder all connectors. Lesson learned. Anyway, had my brother come up a couple of weeks ago and gave me a lesson in automotive wiring. From there I was able to finish things off for the most part. Got to 95% with only power windows and seat to do. Need more wire. So got to start testing things out. Connected battery, check. Make sure everything is grounded, battery to motor, motor to frame, cab to frame, all check. Plug in ONE fuse at a time and try things out. Lights first, hold breath and pull the switch. Got this first shot.
    20210213_112505.jpg
    20210213_105222.jpg
    Moved on, tested electric fan, turn signals, 4 way flashers, bumped starter, dash lights. All worked
    spent the rest of the day walking on air and cleaning up making the wiring neat using that plastic loom stuff.
    My kids surprised me with this as well. Was always a joke/in the plans to do but never shared it with anyone except my kids. The truck is as much Corvette as Ford so I thought it would be cool. Held on with tape for now for pictures. Will be on after I paint the truck.
    20210127_194043.jpg
    Thanks for checking in.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

I took 4 years of high school drafting, 4 years in a wood working course in high school, 2 years of collage for a technician program that had drafting as a component to it. Our youngest son spent 3 years to become an architectural technologist. He has friends that are graphic designers, I have access to the latest design software and people and technology all free and this is what I did. Running board design. Looking for something different that what the factory did. Also wanted to tie the running boards into the fenders better, exp. the rears that were reshaped.
    20210226_122130.jpg
    And the console
    20210314_111911.jpg
    20210314_111927.jpg
    Now I can order material and start building for real.
    CAD, cardboard aided design. way cheaper than building with real material and if you want to change it, well reach into the recycling box.

Looks like I missed a couple of pictures for you guys to see. Here is the wood in the box with the strips.
    20210221_143155.jpg
    And now for a moment of your time. This project was picked up in the southern end of New Hampshire on April 2, 2015. My phone tells me that. Looking back, I had no experience, no tools, no welder and very little knowledge. And boxes of parts. I was completely overwhelmed by that but in some odd way very excited. 6 years later of which there were almost 2 years where I did nothing at all with this truck. A long process of looking for a place to live, moving, fixing the old house, fixing the new house. In the 4 years I have learned so much. I have bought a few tools, nothing fancy, just what I needed. Did some reading and watching you tube. I am now waiting for a few shipments to come in of stuff I have ordered. Hoping to have some of it this week, the rest next week. Covid has slowed the shipping thing down. Pricing have gone way up as well. These parts should give me enough to get a safety. Well except I need to figure out the exhaust system, who does it, what to use. I am super excited to get a chance to start and drive it, if only on the driveway. There are times of extreme highs, learning and doing something new. Having success solving a problem, etc. There have been times of extreme lows for a variety of reasons, lack of experience, bad info, etc. But......when I get that way, I have to stop and look at where I started. It has been an amazing journey for sure. Some will read this and think so what, but for me an amazing deal.
    My hope/wish is that as I post this build I can inspire someone, perhaps you , after all your still reading, to do something, try something, take a risk. After all what is the worst thing that could happen.

Looking great! Keep posting the pictures, it inspires all us car/truck guys.

From cardboard to plywood. Once I had a plan, I bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and transferred the design over. Still ended up with a bunch of trimming to make it all work. Had a lot of it together in mock up form and my architecture son comes in, looks at it and suggests I should put some cherry wood in it to tie into the box. New plan and that is how I have a cherry piece as a cap. Need to figure out where to put the 2 window switches and the 2 power outlets. Opinions welcome. Every thing fits but just. This is a small truck compared to today's trucks.
    20210321_170420.jpg
    20210321_170428.jpg

i try to think about ergonomics and function when adding things like that. think about what might be a comfortable position to use the switches without having to look. like the vertical area right below the armrest lid. if your arm is on the rest maybe your fingers could reach the window switches without looking. i do similar things when laying out operator panels for equipment. i always put emergency stop and common function buttons where the operator doesn't need to look at it, but can find it quickly by feel.
    a power port might work well on that vertical surface too if you think you might have something sitting in the cupholder while charging. i'd put power ports inside the console too. then you can hide things that are charging up.
    b marler