Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Marten's '53 build

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    that plan should work. the picture looks like a single groove pulley on the steering pump with very little belt wrap, maybe you're swapping it out?
    i would have been tempted to go serpentine, any reason to stay with v-belts? (or the round orange ones)
    It is a single groove pulley right now. I have ordered a double groove one. My lack of knowledge has come back to bite me once again. Some thing I just didn't know and I don't have anyone around me to coach or guide my on this. One of those things that cost me. Live and learn the costly way. Hope someone reads this and saves themselves some grief.
    In my mind (where I have won a lot of money) I would love to go with a wide type serpentine system but the cost is to prohibitive. I would need to change the water pump itself to a reverse type and then change all the pulleys. I looked at it but the price was over 2K American.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    It is a single groove pulley right now. I have ordered a double groove one. My lack of knowledge has come back to bite me once again. Some thing I just didn't know and I don't have anyone around me to coach or guide my on this. One of those things that cost me. Live and learn the costly way. Hope someone reads this and saves themselves some grief.
    In my mind (where I have won a lot of money) I would love to go with a wide type serpentine system but the cost is to prohibitive. I would need to change the water pump itself to a reverse type and then change all the pulleys. I looked at it but the price was over 2K American.
    ahh, i see. you can only do so much research before going down a path, sucks when it goes bad. at least it's not a horrible outcome, just a little setback.
    b marler

Default Yeah but...

Hey, your project will function just fine with the multiple belts and hold that look of 'yesterday'. As long as everything is powered as it should be, the wider ONE BELT becomes 'widow dressing' and we have to draw the line on projects we take on. I like to employ, "Want & Need", so that said, carry on with your fine build.

Henry

Still chipping away at this AC system. I am using a Sure fit kit from Vintage Air. I'm sure it will fit, lol. Almost there but thought I would show you how things look with the dash extension in. Got all the vents and control knobs in as well as the switches for the wipers and lights. The blue rectangle is a potential spot for a radio. I figured out why trucks are made with nuts and bolts, man oh man, all I do is put stuff together and take it apart again.
    20201220_154917.jpg
    20201220_154807.jpg

Just before Christmas my gauges came in. Had to mount them to see how they look. Not wired or secured to the dash yet.
    20201224_162556.jpg
    Working on side windows. I bought a "kit" along with a matching power window set up thinking that would be easier, lol. I don't like the look of the vent window so went to a one piece side window. Lots of checking, rereading, fiddling around but got it in. I had cut an extra hole in the door to install the latches earlier. That turned out to be a big help.
    20210101_164305.jpg
    20210101_164251.jpg
    Using cardboard as a window. Just incase, hate to scratch up a new piece of glass. Turned out that was a smart move. Took some figuring but worked out after some adjusting.
    20210101_120240.jpg
    Final step is installing the fuzzies on the bottom of the door. Had a hard time bending them to suit the profile of the door so I made a template. That helped a lot.
    20210101_164233.jpg
    Passenger door is next. That should be easier, now that I have an idea what I am doing, lol.

These trucks come with wood beds, often redone in oak. In my desire to do something different again. I had a bunch of wood of my father in laws farm from a few years ago. He was cutting them down for more land so I grabbed some of them. Had a guy cut them into boards and then air dried. Grabbed some cherry that I thought would look interesting. Started with this.
    20201228_104809.jpg
    Then cut it down and planed it just a bit. This will allow the wood to detention itself. Just incase. It now looks like this with some interesting grain. Now we wait.
    20201228_135525.jpg
    Got to love province shut downs. Miss my family but get lots of hot rod time in. Nothing open so not shopping.

i love cherry, i think it will look great. coming from the family land is all the better. nice clamp collection btw.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i love cherry, i think it will look great. coming from the family land is all the better. nice clamp collection btw.
    I used to do a lot of woodworking, furniture building, complex models, etc. Then the truck fell into my lap and that has stopped the woodworking. Once I retire, lol I will pick it up again. The tools don't wear out just sitting around.
    FIL and I don't see eye to eye, in fact they don't seem to like most of my family. When I was done, I told my wife it was like cutting up her father, man did that arm come at me fast.

I used to do a lot of woodworking, furniture building, complex models, etc. Then the truck fell into my lap and that has stopped the woodworking. Once I retire, lol I will pick it up again. The tools don't wear out just sitting around.
    FIL and I don't see eye to eye, in fact they don't seem to like most of my family. When I was done, I told my wife it was like cutting up her father, man did that arm come at me fast.
    i guess you could say i have a strong woodworking background as well. i build custom equipment and do consulting for several of the larger glu-lam beam, and a ton of smaller laminating and remanufacturing outfits. i build everything you could imagine for these businesses. fingerjoint systems, rf curing, glue dispensing, control systems, you name it. it can be stressful at times so i use the car restoration stuff as therapy. i had a collision shop when i was younger but got burned out on it and looked for other work to do. i love what i'm doing now, every day is different.
    try to stay out of wifey's reach...
    b marler

Very nice build I like all the mods you've done. Nice work

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by bam55 View Post
    Very nice build I like all the mods you've done. Nice work
    Yeah, there's many of you with minds that belong with NASA!

Hats off to all of you who reach farther than the norm!!!

Henry

Thanks guys for the feedback, really apricate it. Other forums I use don't give much back in feedback.
    In our dinner devotions this week we have been reading about, not knowing how great you can be until you step outside of your comfort zone. And your greatest achievement maybe the next thing you try.
    Perhaps this build well encourage someone to step out side there's. It has pushed me for sure but I am loving it.