TheCoatingStore.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Marten's '53 build

Marten,

Like you I produce my own running boards and feel your pain. Yours are turning out great and were very well thought out. Still amazed by your skills with no previous SM experience! On your vertical to horizontal surface at back of running boards, have you considered tacking in a 1/2 or 3/4 radius using a 16 ga. extrusion or producing an extrusion from a bead roller, tack in corner and hit with a short strand fiber filler and finish out? The problem with running boards are the way they are used which stresses that back side corner when attached to the cab and I'm not sure you could ever keep that joint from separating later on. On your running board brackets, I had to put mine in a vice and heat up with my acetylene torch on the inside corners and pull them back into parallel , worked perfect. Afterwards In tack in .250 support plate on the backside to strength up the 90 degree turn. I have some pics of what I built and would be happy to share them with you, but they may not exactly cover your few problems, however they may spark something to help. Looking great!

BTW, make sure your fenders are true and straight before attempting to get the one running board that is out of plumb to conform otherwise you are chasing sheet metal alignment.
    Last edited by Ronf; 08-05-2021 at 02:55 PM.

So even though I am older, I am trying to stay in tough with the younger people. thought I would try and do a you tube video of my truck and where she stands today. Need to do a couple of things then off to the garage for final stuff I can't do and safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeRN-SW_u9g
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Default Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    So even though I am older, I am trying to stay in tough with the younger people. thought I would try and do a you tube video of my truck and where she stands today. Need to do a couple of things then off to the garage for final stuff I can't do and safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeRN-SW_u9g
    No such thing as being older as it's only a number. What YOU do from your mind to your hands is what matters and I've read all your posts, looked at all you shared and you're another one of "THOSE GUYS"!

That would be, ABOVE & BEYOND" like, kevininohio, bam55. Marten, Ronf, bmarler and I must be leaving someone out (sorry - hard to think around SUCH TALENT!)

You guys are DANGEROUS with what you can do and SO amazing and 'all over the top'.

(Marten: use the icon next to the one for attaching a photo for your YouTube as below")

Since we all love this guy, let's ALL subscribe to his YouTube channel!

Henry

Smile

Thanks Henry, I hope the border opens up again some day and I can get over. Hoping some of you guys live close by and we can get together for a beverage or 3. Would love to meet you kind people. Had the appraiser down this week. This guy has been doing this for 35 years. He was impressed as well. Got a great report from him. The next day the truck got picked up and off to a shop for exhaust, A/C charge, 4 wheel alignment, safety, final tuning of the carb (had a guy look at it and I think he changed something and didn't know how to get it back), safety and look at my tranny, it would not go into gear.
    Got a call from the shop, I messed up something when I installed the tranny and broke off some alignment pins? so it is off to a transmission shop. Hopefully not long getting it back. Then off for some ice cream.
    20210921_160814.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Thanks Henry, I hope the border opens up again some day and I can get over. Hoping some of you guys live close by and we can get together for a beverage or 3. Would love to meet you kind people. Had the appraiser down this week. This guy has been doing this for 35 years. He was impressed as well. Got a great report from him. The next day the truck got picked up and off to a shop for exhaust, A/C charge, 4 wheel alignment, safety, final tuning of the carb (had a guy look at it and I think he changed something and didn't know how to get it back), safety and look at my tranny, it would not go into gear.
    Got a call from the shop, I messed up something when I installed the tranny and broke off some alignment pins? so it is off to a transmission shop. Hopefully not long getting it back. Then off for some ice cream.
    20210921_160814.jpg
    Marten,

Your not talking about the trainly alignment dowel pins that help clock the transmission to motor correct? I wouldn't think it is possible to mess those up without snapping an ear off. If this is the case I have a feeling one or both of the pins was removed and not replaced prior you getting your set up. Easy fix if this is the problem as long as it didn't crack the cast.

It was not them, there huge and I would have a tranny on the ground as I would need to shear the bolts off as well. I didn't quite understand what alignment pins the garage was referring to, torque converter to trans, or torque converter to flexplate or something else. I had a tranny guy help me put things together once and I don't remember him telling me that. But then for some reason I took things apart and put them back together. Memory has since faded. Any way we will wait and see. I have accepted the fact that this is going to cost me a few bucks. The joys of learning.