TheCoatingStore.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Marten's '53 build

looks like a perfect fit, nice job. funny how those replacement pieces are never really right. is from continuing to use the stamping die after it's worn out? or are the dies just not right from the get-go?
    on another subject, how did the column turn out?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    looks like a perfect fit, nice job. funny how those replacement pieces are never really right. is from continuing to use the stamping die after it's worn out? or are the dies just not right from the get-go?
    on another subject, how did the column turn out?
    Not sure about panels. Seems odd to me but from all I read it is normal. Guess as long as we put up with it, nothing will change. I wonder if the original vehicles were all different from worn or loose stamping machines.
    For the column, stay tuned. I have not finished it yet. Spent this past weekend working on the body, More on that shortly.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Ok so I started writing this yesterday and then my wife distracted me with apple crumble.
    With the front panel replaced attention went to the back. Started with a new panel from Mid Fifty. Right away I new I was in trouble with more ill fitting panels.
    20201010_142650.jpg
    Hope you can see that. The panel wraps around the back of the truck and this is the front. So off at least 1/2". What to do now, not impressed. Ended up deciding to keep the original folded part at the door and cut the new panel to suit. A line was marked to keep 3/4" of the original from the bend. No magic here, just the width of the tape.
    20201010_142735.jpg
    After cutting out the old cab corner and laying out the new one I ended up with another problem. Now I can get it to wrap around, almost any way. Then the bottom does not line up. More challanges.
    20201011_110758.jpg
    More slicing and dicing and I got it to fit, finally.
    20201011_165740.jpg
    All tacked ready for final welding.
    20201011_165748.jpg

Not sure how to change the pictures that are sideways. They are right when I insert them. Can a geek or someone fix them for me.

nice fit up marten, it almost seems like the repair panel is designed for you to cut it to pieces and use only what you need, not replace the entire part. as long as the radius areas end up in the right place you're good to go. you're using contour gauges i hope?
    b marler

The original door mirrors for the truck are well, old looking in my eyes. You can look around and find all kinds of pictures of them. I was thinking of something more modern but still suit the style of the truck. It had to have a mount I could work with, somehow and also match the body profile of the door. While walking around one day at a local pick and pull yard I found these from a Kia.
    20201023_084859.jpg
    I went through several ideas on how to mount them as well as trying to decide if I like the look of them. Ended up building a mount that looks like this.
    20201025_112053.jpg
    It has the same oval profile as the mirror but needed small fillers on the front and back to suit the door better. The top and bottom touch the door already. The inside part you see is a piece of 14 ga that I had made in a U shape. Holes are there to mount clip nuts to afterwards to hold the mirror.
    Tacked in place.
    20201025_141641.jpg
    20201025_112102.jpg
    I see the pictures are backwards and the clip nuts in place but hope you get the idea to this point.

All the welding and grinding are done. Will use some seam sealer for the front and back and some filler for the top and bottom to finish blending it in.
    20201026_153355.jpg
    20201026_153405.jpg
    20201026_153420.jpg
    And the other side mounted
    20201026_160448.jpg
    Although a bit hard to see, the bottom of the mirrors are close to perfectly horizontal, if you look straight from the side the mirror part is almost perfectly vertical and the front of the mirror matches the slope of the door. And I think the sizing is proportional to the truck. That I will see once it is back together.

Default Nice!

Looks "clean" from here!

Henry

That looks great Marten, nice customizing.

Thanks guys, it is fun working on this when I have some time.

that's an interesting take on the side mirrors. i wouldn't have thought to go there, but i think you've done a good job of thinking it through with the slope of the mirror matching the doors and the bottom edge level. you won't see another one like it at the show.
    i love seeing how others visions of their project can be so different from the "usual" customizations. great stuff.
    b marler