TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marten's '53 build

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Next step is to take the rear roll pan and attach it to the frame.

Attachment 28757
    Then I attached the sides to the frame. Drilled out and made a bunch of spot welds to do this. Attached the sides and front together.
    Attachment 28758
    View from the rear. Where the roll pan meets the box sides you will see some extra steel welded in. That will be where I mount the hidden hinges for the tail gate.
    Attachment 28759
    I was trying to keep this in order but I messed up. Here is a pic of the stake pockets during fabrication. I wanted no holes in the top of the box. I also like the look of a cap on the bottom of the stake pocket. I don't have any pics of how I made them but took the same piece I had bent up, did some cutting and heating and eventually made the bottom round.
    Attachment 28760
    Being concerned with moisture in the closed off areas I drilled some holes that will later be hidden to allow for some drainage. Bottom of the tube and top of the stake pocket. I also cut some 1/4" slots in the bottom of the stake pockets.
    Attachment 28762
    BEAUTIFUL!

nice detail with the stake pockets. are they still stake pockets if you can't put a stake in them?
    now i'm curious about the tailgate hinges...
    b marler

To do the tailgate I started with a vision once again. I wanted something that was simple looking but had some character. Started by cutting some 1 x 3 channel into a rectangle
    IMG_20170610_121447.jpg
    I was looking to have the hinges hidden as much as possible so in the bottom I welded in a nut for a bolt.
    IMG_20170610_105946.jpg
    Then welded a piece of sheet metal on the back. Progress picture. Later I welded the entire outside seam
    IMG_20170706_203755.jpg
    Checking it out to make sure I am happy with progress.
    IMG_20170610_160008.jpg
    To complete the hidden hinges I made some tabs like this, welded onto the earlier installed metal plates. I also welded in some extra plate at the top. That will be some reinforcing for the hidden latches I bought.
    IMG_20170705_125335.jpg
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Once I had the tailgate built I needed to finish off the rear stake pockets. You don't get to see all the experimenting only the final result. This is the look I went with. Although you don't see it, on the bottom of the pockets there are little slots cut in so the condensation or water can drain out. The capping on the top also hides the drain holes I drilled earlier.
    IMG_20170707_151409.jpg
    I did all 4 corners the same way. Thought it gave the box a bit more finished look.
    The final look.
    IMG_20170710_162829.jpg
    IMG_20170710_162815.jpg
    And the close up of the hinges.
    IMG_20170710_185439.jpg
    Thanks for following along. Hope you are enjoying this.

Looks good from here. I like the finished look of the stake pockets. The tailgate looks good, not what I might have done, but I think it fits your vision of the truck. Did you leave room for a bushing in the hinge?
    Yes, enjoying the updates.
    b marler

Thanks for giving me some different ideas on ways to get things done. Keep those pics and ideas coming.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    Looks good from here. I like the finished look of the stake pockets. The tailgate looks good, not what I might have done, but I think it fits your vision of the truck. Did you leave room for a bushing in the hinge?
    Yes, enjoying the updates.
    Thanks bmarier. I have a washer between the mounting bracket and the tailgate itself. Hopefully that is enough.
    The goal is to change it enough that most people will not know but anyone with some experience will see some of the changes. The box.....well it is turning out exactly how I wanted it to look. Need to seam seal everything. That will happen shortly. I have the cab off the truck right now. Once that goes on, then I have the cradle available to but the box on. I can then fix some of the primer and a couple of marks I made. Then re-prime everything. The heat here over the last couple of weeks has slowed me down.

Thanks bmarier. I have a washer between the mounting bracket and the tailgate itself. Hopefully that is enough.
    The goal is to change it enough that most people will not know but anyone with some experience will see some of the changes. The box.....well it is turning out exactly how I wanted it to look. Need to seam seal everything. That will happen shortly. I have the cab off the truck right now. Once that goes on, then I have the cradle available to but the box on. I can then fix some of the primer and a couple of marks I made. Then re-prime everything. The heat here over the last couple of weeks has slowed me down.
    i just tried some fusor 126 ez seam sealer for the first time. really impressed with it. it's a two part sealer that flows out of a static mix tube. tools very smooth and ready to paint in a half hour or so. it comes out light blue-ish and turns more opaque as it cures. i expect it to be far superior to the one part sealers i've used in the past.
    b marler

I am not doing this build thread in the order I have worked on the truck but thought it would be fun to do it the way I am. Nice to see you guys enjoying the story. With the bed on the truck and some really cool tires installed the fenders now don't look right. With the Corvette drive train it gets tricky finding rims and tires to suit. There is lots of money involved and selling something like this if I mess up is hard at best. So lots of time looking, measuring and checking before pulling the trigger. I was looking for something about 12" wide, no reason except that is what I wanted. The goal is pro touring, not pro street. This way looks good in the opening.
    IMG_20181216_150105.jpg
    This way not so much.
    IMG_20181216_150114.jpg
    I wanted something that was a lot more vertical to reduce any stone chipping but also thought it would look better from this view and well as from the front. More like this.
    IMG_20181216_150501.jpg
    A plan? was made. I made a cardboard template of the original profile on the box. That way I could make the other side match later on.
    IMG_20190511_144637.jpg
    Put a tape line on the fender. Wanted to stay as close as possible to the bend to keep as much strength as possible in the fender. I cut on the edge of the tape line and then screwed the flange part back on the box. Using sheet metal "fingers" I was able to fasten the rest of the fender to the flange in the position that I wanted it to end up in.
    IMG_20190519_144335.jpg

You can see from the picture that the fingers don't line up with the flange. Bought a shrinker and stretcher and started reworking the flange. Very much a touch and feel thing to get it to flow correctly. I wanted it to look stock, not something that was put together somehow. Once I got the profile the way I wanted, I went and had some cereal for breakfast. Using the box made up a template for the metal fill in. I don't have pictures but the front of the fender where it meets the running boards, I ended up doing the same thing.
    IMG_20190519_172443.jpg
    Cut the metal, more shrinking and stretching, lots of little tacks or dot. Hammer and dolly work, repeat, scratch your head, etc. and it looked like this.
    IMG_20190821_205747.jpg
    Much happier with it now.
    IMG_20191221_105434.jpg
    IMG_20191221_105441.jpg
    Hard to see much difference from the front but thought I would try anyway. The goal is to make changes that car/truck guys might notice but the average person won't know.
    IMG_20191221_105349.jpg

Nice job!

A couple of questions...

1. Are you using seam sealer inside the fender?

2. You're in Canada, do you think you'll have it painted before cold weather hits.

3. Do you do this type of work for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Nice job!

A couple of questions...

1. Are you using seam sealer inside the fender? No, I bought some bed liner from Canadian Tire and sprayed that. A product from Dominion sure seal.

2. You're in Canada, do you think you'll have it painted before cold weather hits. The plan is to get the truck into epoxy primer only. I may do some bondo work on it if I have time as that is a low money output thing. After much debate I'm told that leaving it in epoxy and driving it for a bit first before taking it all apart to paint is the best way to go. I have a heated garage where I work on the truck.
    3. Do you do this type of work for a living?
    I do not. I am a carpenter by trade, self employed. This is a learn as I go thing. I have no one around me to guide me. I do get some advise from my brother when I ask. He was a mechanic before a career change. Other then that, the internet is somewhat helpful, although i do find it boring and frustrating at times so not a lot of time on that. Since I was knee high to a grasshopper I have always wanted to build a hot rod but for a variety of reasons that never happened. Then about 5-6 years ago something happened that made both my wife and I take a look at what we do and why. That has lead to some changes in attitude and priorities. Still not ideal in my mind but better than before. Please don't get that wrong. I don't regret a single choice I have made in life, after all I made them. but I do wish I had started this many years earlier. Instead I did a lot of woodworking instead. Still have all the tools. I have built some cool furniture as well as realistic models but now that the truck is here the woodworking is on hold.

Default Really !!!

I do not. I am a carpenter by trade, self employed. This is a learn as I go thing. I have no one around me to guide me. I do get some advise from my brother when I ask. He was a mechanic before a career change. Other then that, the internet is somewhat helpful, although i do find it boring and frustrating at times so not a lot of time on that. Since I was knee high to a grasshopper I have always wanted to build a hot rod but for a variety of reasons that never happened. Then about 5-6 years ago something happened that made both my wife and I take a look at what we do and why. That has lead to some changes in attitude and priorities. Still not ideal in my mind but better than before. Please don't get that wrong. I don't regret a single choice I have made in life, after all I made them. but I do wish I had started this many years earlier. Instead I did a lot of woodworking instead. Still have all the tools. I have built some cool furniture as well as realistic models but now that the truck is here the woodworking is on hold.
    Great story, great life and the best going forward. Look back on what you learned and take that moving forward. You have a long arm? If so, or regardless reach back and pat yourself on the back for all you've accomplished and are able to do with your hands. Such a wonderful gift.

You've done some amazing work on this vehicle and your dedication shows strongly. (I can only imagine what you've done with wood!) Anyway, you're not alone if you found this site as we all mentor one another and learn more from each other. Been 22 years for me on this (Len's "ABS") site. Anyway, I'm just a member, like you, however, you've passed me out by a mile with this build of yours and you should feel very proud of what you've done. There are a couple more like you currently here. MANY, MANY have come here with NO experience but had the drive, listened and ended up with award winning projects. Looks like you too will join the ranks of the 'very best'!

Henry

Wow Henry and thanks for that.
    At times very frustrated for sure. Been given some wrong advise at times. I don't think it was intentional but it happens. That has cost me some money but I have learned. I have had some great successes as well. That I like. Not sure I am any better then others but I am trying and won't give up. For me the challenges are many, the time is small but I will not give up until I win. I like to balance getting advise as there is a lot of bad or incorrect stuff around. I try and limit asking questions to those I can trust and go with it if it makes sense to me. There is more to the story but I don't see an into page on this site and don't want to clog up space with something that is not part of the forum page.
    I enjoy learning stuff. But I also enjoy teaching and inspiring others (I coach during the winter in my "spare", lol time). I am hoping by posting stuff that I can inspire others to risk it, try something
    Thanks Henry.

I am slowly catching up to where I am really at with this build. Just giving some small updates when I have a chance. All the work you see has been done a while ago. I will continue to do it this way untill I am up to date.
    This is the original fresh air vent for the heating system of the truck. It is only on the passenger side. Not needed for me so thought I would see if I can get rid of it since the truck is far from stock anyway
    IMG_20190101_191706.jpg
    Was told that when welding in patches to keep the corner rounded to avoid over heating, so cut out the vent area only.
    IMG_20190127_162716.jpg
    Took a piece of 18 ga cold rolled and ran it through the english wheel to get some curve to it. What an interesting tool the english wheel is. Held it on top of the hole and traced behind it.
    IMG_20190125_195605.jpg
    Cut and tacked
    IMG_20190127_165520.jpg
    Finished welding and grinding. It did take some gentle massaging to get it close enough to use some filler to finish it off.
    IMG_20190203_164944.jpg
    This weekend, I am hoping to have the cab completely stripped and put into epoxy primer. So no pics of it in primer.