TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: knock off guns

Exclamation knock off guns

I want the world to know that I am not a fan of knock off guns I.E. devilbiss made in china, that being said, i did buy a devibiss gti pro lite knock off . I wanted to see how it sprayed.. When i got it i cleaned it really well, (lot of manafactureing crud in it). I sprayed a test panel ,was below ave.. Then i removed the needle and polished it with 600 grit paper and metal polishing compound. also took a 1.4 size drill bit an mounded it in my drill backward,(note backward),put some compound on it an polished the tip.Then i resprayed another panel it was better. So i guess thats a tip for someone who may not have the cash to buy a real gun.. papa always said it not the fishing rod , its the fisherman.lol

Default Brand?

What brand is on the knockoff? or just a no name?

Devilbiss pro lite. Made in china,with a u.k. stamp on it.

Devilbiss pro lite. UK engraved

I have an Iwata LPH400LV copy and it's one the best guns I have ever used. Been using it for at least the last ten years and it's still going strong. I did replace a couple gaskets about 5 years ago. I paid $120 for it at least ten years ago. Admittedly I'm not still production painting 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. But it still sprays a great coat of paint.

Just out of curiosity about a year ago I picked up a Harbor Freight $150 spray gun which I believe is supposed to be a Sata copy. It's a compliant gun and it did spray great.
    The deal breaker for me with that gun is that even though it sprays great -- NO replacement parts are available (and never will be available). If a gasket goes bad you're shit out of luck. I asked a harbor freight rep about that and they told me they don't sell spray gun parts, they just sell spray guns. Like I said, that was a deal breaker for me, I returned the gun to harbor freight for a full refund. The machining and overall quality of production on that gun appeared excellent to me.

Good point Phil v ,if your going to keep your gun for years parts are a must.The devilbiss knock off appears to be able to except real devilbiss parts.
    A couple of years ago I had a buddy who wanted to learn to paint,so I took him to are local jobbers, rather showing him some guns( expensive ); he flipped at the price.So we went to the local parts store an he bought a dewalt gun,80 dollars.Ather some adjustments the gun worked great,granted he was doing Pearl's or tried stage jobs,
    I like to belief that it's not so much the gun, but the person standing behind it. Piper

Quote Originally Posted by piper View Post
    Good point Phil v ,if your going to keep your gun for years parts are a must.The devilbiss knock off appears to be able to except real devilbiss parts.
    A couple of years ago I had a buddy who wanted to learn to paint,so I took him to are local jobbers, rather showing him some guns( expensive ); he flipped at the price.So we went to the local parts store an he bought a dewalt gun,80 dollars.Ather some adjustments the gun worked great,granted he was doing Pearl's or tried stage jobs,
    I like to belief that it's not so much the gun, but the person standing behind it. Piper
    Quote - "I like to belief that it's not so much the gun, but the person standing behind it. Piper" (end quote).

Absolutely ! A well experienced painter can pretty much paint with any gun that sprays a decent pattern. On the other hand a $1,000 Sata spray gun in the hands of an inexperienced painter can and in many cases end in less than acceptable results.

Many years ago I was told " the difference between a novice painter and professional painter is the professional painter knows what to do to assure a good outcome". There is no substitute for knowledge and hands on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Quote - "I like to belief that it's not so much the gun, but the person standing behind it. Piper" (end quote).

Absolutely ! A well experienced painter can pretty much paint with any gun that sprays a decent pattern. On the other hand a $1,000 Sata spray gun in the hands of an inexperienced painter can and in many cases end in less than acceptable results.

Many years ago I was told " the difference between a novice painter and professional painter is the professional painter knows what to do to assure a good outcome". There is no substitute for knowledge and hands on experience.
    However, an inexperienced (and experienced) painter can get a much better result with a "good" gun then they can with a low quality gun.

These statements are alright....somewhat true, depends how you look at it..

I own more than 15,16 paint guns, all high end and the only brand I donít have are Walcom Carbonio 360...

I tested Prona gun, a Chinese copy gun that costs about $200, it sprayed great but internals were so so cheap....I would never buy it..

So I can probably get any gun to give me desired results BUT why fight it, why spend Extra paint and materials on inefficient low transfer tools and why use extra effort..?..it may give similar results but it is wasting more paint...

And NO, it does not mean that a brand new latest technology gun will be better or feel better or just because it is more money , perform better than previous models...

I recently tested Devilbiss DV1 clearcoat gun....it is no better than Tekna gun in my opinion...

however, Dv1 basecoat gun is unbelievable, so so easy to use, is is effortless, high transfer, simply outstanding along with Sagola Aqua 4600, easiest gun for waterborne or solvent even..Devilbiss created a winner...

I had some new Satas 5500 with I pattern to try out as well...well, It sprays like Iwatas and they came up with technology 15 years ago, so No, not buying new Sata...not worth it..

I can adjust the gun or simply use another gun that matches the outcome I want to achieve.....ie Iwatas for that small tight Japanese clear coat finish or I can go with Sagola 1.3 xl or Sata 5000 for thick, heavy German Euro finish....

I also have a dedicated white color base gun, black color base gun , a silver gun and dedicated solvent guns...these are the most common colors....I donít need to spend time cleaning them thoroughly to remove paint....it saves me a lot of time...

Another point is that you can always resell high end gun and recoup your money easy....

So yes, it is worth it for an inexperienced painter to buy a bettter gun bcs learning curve is easier and many variables are easy to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    These statements are alright....somewhat true, depends how you look at it..

I own more than 15,16 paint guns, all high end and the only brand I donít have are Walcom Carbonio 360...

I tested Prona gun, a Chinese copy gun that costs about $200, it sprayed great but internals were so so cheap....I would never buy it..

So I can probably get any gun to give me desired results BUT why fight it, why spend Extra paint and materials on inefficient low transfer tools and why use extra effort..?..it may give similar results but it is wasting more paint...

And NO, it does not mean that a brand new latest technology gun will be better or feel better or just because it is more money , perform better than previous models...

I recently tested Devilbiss DV1 clearcoat gun....it is no better than Tekna gun in my opinion...

however, Dv1 basecoat gun is unbelievable, so so easy to use, is is effortless, high transfer, simply outstanding along with Sagola Aqua 4600, easiest gun for waterborne or solvent even..Devilbiss created a winner...

I had some new Satas 5500 with I pattern to try out as well...well, It sprays like Iwatas and they came up with technology 15 years ago, so No, not buying new Sata...not worth it..

I can adjust the gun or simply use another gun that matches the outcome I want to achieve.....ie Iwatas for that small tight Japanese clear coat finish or I can go with Sagola 1.3 xl or Sata 5000 for thick, heavy German Euro finish....

I also have a dedicated white color base gun, black color base gun , a silver gun and dedicated solvent guns...these are the most common colors....I donít need to spend time cleaning them thoroughly to remove paint....it saves me a lot of time...

Another point is that you can always resell high end gun and recoup your money easy....

So yes, it is worth it for an inexperienced painter to buy a bettter gun bcs learning curve is easier and many variables are easy to adjust.
    People talk about transfer efficiency and saving money on paint as a result of better transfer efficiency. That might look good on paper but my experience is as far as actual material usage there isn't a real life noticeable difference. If you're spraying a whole car who cares if the gun you're using uses a half a pint more of clear coat. The same can be said of color coat. The early HVLP guns were touted as "better transfer efficiency" but they were really bad for orange peel so you ended up using more paint because of wet sanding out the orange peel. Gained nothing there. I'm still not crazy about HVLP guns. Much prefer a compliant or even an LVLP gun.

I have had several high end expensive guns and to be honest I wasn't particularly impressed with them. I did not like the Tekna pro lite at all, just not a good fit for me. Not impressed with Sata either, decent spray guns but outrageously expensive. If I had to pick one brand of spray gun it would have to be the Iwata's. I never sprayed with a Sagola so I can't say anything about them either way. And Len won't give me one to try it out (LOL !)

Default Give it up len!

Phil v. Lol lol maybe Ken will kick in a sagola for both of us..
    Until then I guess i"ll keep using my sata 2000 digital oldie but a goofy. Come len send my a sagola I promise to be good this year lol.

Mind the spelling , it's early an I havn"t
    I haven't had my second coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    People talk about transfer efficiency and saving money on paint as a result of better transfer efficiency. That might look good on paper but my experience is as far as actual material usage there isn't a real life noticeable difference. If you're spraying a whole car who cares if the gun you're using uses a half a pint more of clear coat. The same can be said of color coat. The early HVLP guns were touted as "better transfer efficiency" but they were really bad for orange peel so you ended up using more paint because of wet sanding out the orange peel. Gained nothing there. I'm still not crazy about HVLP guns. Much prefer a compliant or even an LVLP gun.

I have had several high end expensive guns and to be honest I wasn't particularly impressed with them. I did not like the Tekna pro lite at all, just not a good fit for me. Not impressed with Sata either, decent spray guns but outrageously expensive. If I had to pick one brand of spray gun it would have to be the Iwata's. I never sprayed with a Sagola so I can't say anything about them either way. And Len won't give me one to try it out (LOL !)
    I like high efficiency guns because of less overspray not for saving paint but they can produce more orange peel. I have a couple of older Sata guns that I now use for primer. The DeVilbiss guns can produce good paint jobs and parts are readily available. I had a couple of Iwata guns a few years ago and thought that they were OK but both were slow and not worth the price however I haven't used their newer models yet.

I had a Sagola rep visit my shop a few years ago and left their gun for me to try. I was amazed at the finish it produced and I've been using three of their guns exclusively for all my top coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    However, an inexperienced (and experienced) painter can get a much better result with a "good" gun then they can with a low quality gun.
    I agree with Len's statement 100%! As a rookie weekender, It is LOT easier for me to put down a quality finish with one of my better guns.

I went from a Starting Line to a Finish Line, then sold the Starting Line gun as I knew that I would never use it again, then Len sold me a Sagola and the Finish Line is now used mostly for primers. I also have a Sata 5500 that has a huge fan and is so easy to use.

Do I have a bunch of money tied up in guns as a weekender? Yes, but it is far less than the materials cost. Can you pros shoot glass out of HF purple POS, sure! Can I? Not gonna waste my time in the pig barn.

I have been painting for more years than I want to count.lol i"m 60.
    When i started it was laqucor. Them enamel. Now waterbase.big changes over the years.
    I have used satas,devilbiss,sagola, an such.i guess it comes down to personal perception.
    I have an old sata 2000 digital that I still use, an love. I"m used to it an it just feels good in my left hand.
    Sure I would love to buy a new sata 5500. Just can't justify it.
    The data rep. Came in the shop and well , I think that maybe I just might buy one lol lol lol