TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Non-Iso Catalyzed Primers, Surfacers, Hi-Build-

Default Non-Iso Catalyzed Primers, Surfacers, Hi-Build-

I need some clarrification on catalyzed primers, surfacers and hi-build products. Previously I have only used acrylic lacquer primers, but after reading up in these forums, I'd like to venture into the world of epoxy primers/sealers and hi-build surfacers. The local shop that I buy at says that any product using a catalyzing hardener is by defintion an ISO product. Is this correct information.... if not, can anybody recommend specific name brand products that do not have iso's and would be good products for me to start working with. When I went to my local store I was inquiring specifically about Speedcoat epoxy primer and Evercoat Featherfill G2.

Thanks!

I donít know anything about Speedcoat but I do use Featherfill G2. G2 is similar to body filler that you apply with a plastic spreader except it is liquid and you apply it with a spray gun. Itís a polyester. It uses a catalyst that is NOT an isocyanate. No epoxy that I know of uses isocyanate. Isocyanate is part of the hardener of polyurethane or urethane paint products. Itís not the kiss of death. Like all other chemicals in the painting universe it and the others should not be inhaled. There are several ways to protect yourself from inhalation. Dust masks when sanding, organic filters on masks for painting and better yet supplied air systems. Good ventilation of the paint area helps the protective measures you use work better. I see no reason not to use products that contain isocyanates if you are using proper protection to prevent the other volatile chemicals that paint contains from entering your lungs.

Bob K

Bob K- thank you for taking the time to respond. My confusion seemed to be that so many paint products are referred to a 2K, but only some and not all have polyisopcynates. I do use a 3M organic respirator, but am concerned that my full beard prevents a 100% seal.

Thanks again for the clarrification!

Quote Originally Posted by jb_selig View Post
    Bob K- thank you for taking the time to respond. My confusion seemed to be that so many paint products are referred to a 2K, but only some and not all have polyisopcynates. I do use a 3M organic respirator, but am concerned that my full beard prevents a 100% seal.

Thanks again for the clarrification!
    That's exactly why a positive pressure system is so important. Even without the beard it can be difficult to get a perfect seal with a carbon filtered mask.

Last edited by Len; 05-20-2020 at 04:04 PM.