TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: single stage base before final paint

Default single stage base before final paint

I have followed this page for a number of years and it has always been a vast wealth of knowledge given, thanks! My question for you guys is this. I have watched different people talk about putting a project in single stage after the body work and then sanding it to put bc/cc over top. Can someone explain to me why this is done? Wouldn't a tinted sealer do the same thing (with less steps) or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by cam1204 View Post
    I have followed this page for a number of years and it has always been a vast wealth of knowledge given, thanks! My question for you guys is this. I have watched different people talk about putting a project in single stage after the body work and then sanding it to put bc/cc over top. Can someone explain to me why this is done? Wouldn't a tinted sealer do the same thing (with less steps) or am I missing something?
    I don't know why others would do it but we sometimes will spray jambs or under the hood or undersides of panels using single stage then shoot the exterior using base/clear because it's quicker. We usually would only do this with non-metallic colors because the difference is less noticeable than when spraying metallic colors.

Default Hmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by cam1204 View Post
    You do NOT have to coat with SS prior to BC/CC. Len gives a good reason why the option is helpful but not required.

What are you planning to paint and what type do you want to use?

WELCOME ABOARD!

Henry

Thanks for the responses. I personally haven't did this. I have read on a few other pages of painters doing a ss base before the bc/cc but I never see a reason. I figured if anyone would know why this would be the group. Like you Len I usually do the jams and interior stuff with single stage. Im just a hobbyist thought I might be missing something. Just one of those things you read and wonder why they do it. Have asked a couple guys why they do it and all they say is it is for a flat base. Still didn't make sense to me. And thanks Henry. Been following you guys for a while now just never posted.