TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for paint

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    You have me questioning what you mean by ratchet straps. I think of the fiber tie down straps I use on my trailer but think you must mean something else. Those straps donít have much lifting ability before the core gets so full of material that it wonít turn any more and letting something down would be a free fall once the latch is released. I hope you mean a cable come along. They work well for something like that. You didnít say anything about it but whenever I have lifted something from the ceiling I connect my lifting tool to a hardwood 4x4 that goes over at least 4 of the ceiling joists just to spread the load to more than one and also to keep the joist from twisting.

Bob K
    We use a couple of these ratchet straps to lift the bodies high enough to get them off the frame and put them on the rotisserie. The straps are about 3" wide and thick enough to hold most car bodies with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    You have me questioning what you mean by ratchet straps. I think of the fiber tie down straps I use on my trailer but think you must mean something else. Those straps donít have much lifting ability before the core gets so full of material that it wonít turn any more and letting something down would be a free fall once the latch is released. I hope you mean a cable come along. They work well for something like that. You didnít say anything about it but whenever I have lifted something from the ceiling I connect my lifting tool to a hardwood 4x4 that goes over at least 4 of the ceiling joists just to spread the load to more than one and also to keep the joist from twisting.

Bob K
    Bob,

These are all good points you make and I appreciate your input, however the ratchet straps I use allow you to lift or release about 1/2-3/4" per "click" for both raising or lowering. This makes it nice and slow for going up or down. Also, I only need to raise the 36' about 8" in order to roll the existing frame out and roll the spare frame in to set it back down. While Lens straps are 3" mine are 2.5" rated at 10k lbs. each. I had considered spanning the rafters with a 4x4 to allow the weight to disperse but I'm not convinced that is necessary considering the bottom cord of the rafters are 2x12's over a span of only 15' (span is actually 30' but has a division wall at 15'). Remember I am only pulling the body at about 800 +- lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images