TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for paint

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You know what? You two guys are dangerous!

"since you're a good fabricator, the worst case scenario would be to weld up a pair of a-frame gantry cranes on wheels."

All we need now is for "Kevin" to join in!

Carry on, gentlemen!

Henry
    I hear you henry about barler and myself being crazy but what hot rodders aren't? However I designed and built this shop all by myself (except foundation) and the bottom cords I installed were all 2x12x30' so I'm not too worried about the rafters carrying the weight. I have one area in my shop where there is a division wall that divides the 30' span by half, this is where I am giving serious consideration to installing the ratchet straps for pulling the body, I just can't envision those 2x12's not carrying the weight of around 800+- lbs. I am still considering fabbing a metal frame to pull the body just as bmarler suggested and like the video you provided. I have pulled maybe a dozen or so bodies over the yearst but that was at my old shop that had an overhead "I" beam block and tackle pulley. As I finished up the upholsters panels today I have no choice but to go forward with pulling the body, there just isn't anything left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Ron do you have any helpers. If I didn't have help I couldn't do half of what I do.
    Len,

No don't have any helpers. There are a lot of old time hot rodders in the shop daily that come and go but not really the ones I would want to help with my personal projects as it would be too risky for failures or somebody to get hurt. When I built this new shop 4 or 5 years ago I had intended to put in a lift (my old lift from my previous shop), but the city slammed me on my height elevation and restricted me to 8' inside walls. I will get this body pulled, it just made this part of the build a little more difficult, although interesting.

Default NO, NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I hear you henry about barler and myself being crazy but what hot rodders aren't? However I designed and built this shop all by myself (except foundation) and the bottom cords I installed were all 2x12x30' so I'm not too worried about the rafters carrying the weight. I have one area in my shop where there is a division wall that divides the 30' span by half, this is where I am giving serious consideration to installing the ratchet straps for pulling the body, I just can't envision those 2x12's not carrying the weight of around 800+- lbs. I am still considering fabbing a metal frame to pull the body just as bmarler suggested and like the video you provided. I have pulled maybe a dozen or so bodies over the yearst but that was at my old shop that had an overhead "I" beam block and tackle pulley. As I finished up the upholsters panels today I have no choice but to go forward with pulling the body, there just isn't anything left to do.
    No, you guys are NOT crazy, I never was suggesting that and facts are, PRIDE walks along with you guys. Include KEVIN and you have a threesome that "DO" not stand around saying, 'if only'.

Hey, analyze your situation and you will come up with a good plan. Also, you figure if the lifting is on four corners, the 'load' should be a doable thing. Take care!

Henry

Len,

No don't have any helpers. There are a lot of old time hot rodders in the shop daily that come and go but not really the ones I would want to help with my personal projects as it would be too risky for failures or somebody to get hurt. When I built this new shop 4 or 5 years ago I had intended to put in a lift (my old lift from my previous shop), but the city slammed me on my height elevation and restricted me to 8' inside walls. I will get this body pulled, it just made this part of the build a little more difficult, although interesting.
    If I didn't have a scissor lift I probably would be on my computer all day and not working on cars. I tell my people that two important things to have when working/painting is height and light.

If I didn't have a scissor lift I probably would be on my computer all day and not working on cars. I tell my people that two important things to have when working/painting is height and light.

gotta agree there. i picked up an older aamco parallelogram lift and modified it so it can be rolled around and used where needed. it's perfect for getting a car up to a good height for buffing the sides. i'd love to have a good four post but there's just no place for me to put it.
    b marler

sounds like the building is plenty strong to lift that shell. and really, i'd prefer to do that by myself anyway. that way it happens nice and slow and you can gauge the result of each click of the ratchet. having people around can be a huge distraction and things get out of control quickly. i think the tough part will be deciding what order to do things. how much to paint while the body is off the frame. it's heartbreaking to damage new paint when re-assembling things.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    gotta agree there. i picked up an older aamco parallelogram lift and modified it so it can be rolled around and used where needed. it's perfect for getting a car up to a good height for buffing the sides. i'd love to have a good four post but there's just no place for me to put it.
    Yep, a four post is great for working under a car but not so good for body and paint work. Those posts can sure get in the way depending on what you're doing. The scissor lift is great for body and paint but not so good for working under the vehicle.

What about a rotisserie? You can get them with hydraulic cylinders for lift. Only problem with them is you need to fab up a mount to the body.

https://www.eagleequip.com/product/ER-4000.html

Quote Originally Posted by Metallic Mayhem View Post
    What about a rotisserie? You can get them with hydraulic cylinders for lift. Only problem with them is you need to fab up a mount to the body.

If you're pulling the body off the frame a rotisserie may be a good option but for most less extensive restos it won't be the right tool. In addition to having to modify it to fit the vehicle you need to lift the body onto the rotisserie which can take a chain hoist or some other way to pull the body up several feet.

If you're pulling the body off the frame a rotisserie may be a good option but for most less extensive restos it won't be the right tool. In addition to having to modify it to fit the vehicle you need to lift the body onto the rotisserie which can take a chain hoist or some other way to pull the body up several feet.
    Your absolutely correct Len. While I appreciate the suggestion from recoatlift a rotisserie just won't work on this build with all the modifications, even with the hydraulic lifts. I have a telescoping rotisserie that I built around 25 years ago and I think I have used it 2 or 3 times, but re-configuring them to fit projects becomes a big pain. As I have an extra 36' Master frame in perfect condition to set this body on while I clean up the welds and coat the modified original chassis, I just need to grab the body, lift and set it on the extra frame while chassis work is being completed.
    Good news is I think I got the body lift figured out today. Going to use bottle jacks, engine hoist and floor jacks to walk the body up to about 5-6" off frame, build a small lattice structure from 1x3-14ga tubing that attaches to main and cross sills and lift with ratchet straps, should be a walk in the park, lol. Geez, how did I back myself into this corner?

Your absolutely correct Len. While I appreciate the suggestion from recoatlift a rotisserie just won't work on this build with all the modifications, even with the hydraulic lifts. I have a telescoping rotisserie that I built around 25 years ago and I think I have used it 2 or 3 times, but re-configuring them to fit projects becomes a big pain. As I have an extra 36' Master frame in perfect condition to set this body on while I clean up the welds and coat the modified original chassis, I just need to grab the body, lift and set it on the extra frame while chassis work is being completed.

Good news is I think I got the body lift figured out today. Going to use bottle jacks, engine hoist and floor jacks to walk the body up to about 5-6" off frame, build a small lattice structure from 1x3-14ga tubing that attaches to main and cross sills and lift with ratchet straps, should be a walk in the park, lol. Geez, how did I back myself into this corner?
    SEE, now why didn't you make things that simple a few days ago? You had many of us concerned for you and look at this! Only thing is:

"Walk in the park"? I doubt that. Will it work, of course it will! Take your time and keep us posted.

Henry

Default Oh YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Metallic Mayhem View Post

Fully endorse a rotisserie! Being able to do a resto and work on an undercarriage when you can flip it 'in your face' is great. However, in this situation, his car is complete of all that "nasty" work and on the road for paint & reassembly.

Henry

Default No walk in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    SEE, now why didn't you make things that simple a few days ago? You had many of us concerned for you and look at this! Only thing is:

"Walk in the park"? I doubt that. Will it work, of course it will! Take your time and keep us posted.

Henry
    Henry,

You are so correct and I'm not about to start fooling myself thinking this is going to be a walk in the park. After spending an hour underneath the 36' I don't "think" it should be all that difficult. I found good attachment points both on the 36' and the overhead rafters where I will attach the ratchet straps. Going to fab up a few J hooks from 1/2" round stock that should work nicely, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    sounds like the building is plenty strong to lift that shell. and really, i'd prefer to do that by myself anyway. that way it happens nice and slow and you can gauge the result of each click of the ratchet. having people around can be a huge distraction and things get out of control quickly. i think the tough part will be deciding what order to do things. how much to paint while the body is off the frame. it's heartbreaking to damage new paint when re-assembling things.
    bmarler,

As usual right on the money. Get a bunch of old time hot rodders in the shop discussing how something should be done would be nothing less than a disaster and these guys have a hard time turning a wrench (it's the reason they are over here all the time), but ya gotta love them for their enthusiasm for hot rods. When the body lift is complete I am only going to finish a few cross section welds that I couldn't get too from up top and apply zero rust to underside of new floor and floor support. Roll the frame out, finish cleaning and painting of chassis, set the body back on frame and paint.

You have me questioning what you mean by ratchet straps. I think of the fiber tie down straps I use on my trailer but think you must mean something else. Those straps donít have much lifting ability before the core gets so full of material that it wonít turn any more and letting something down would be a free fall once the latch is released. I hope you mean a cable come along. They work well for something like that. You didnít say anything about it but whenever I have lifted something from the ceiling I connect my lifting tool to a hardwood 4x4 that goes over at least 4 of the ceiling joists just to spread the load to more than one and also to keep the joist from twisting.

Bob K