TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for paint

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You know what? You two guys are dangerous!

"since you're a good fabricator, the worst case scenario would be to weld up a pair of a-frame gantry cranes on wheels."

All we need now is for "Kevin" to join in!

Carry on, gentlemen!

Henry
    I hear you henry about barler and myself being crazy but what hot rodders aren't? However I designed and built this shop all by myself (except foundation) and the bottom cords I installed were all 2x12x30' so I'm not too worried about the rafters carrying the weight. I have one area in my shop where there is a division wall that divides the 30' span by half, this is where I am giving serious consideration to installing the ratchet straps for pulling the body, I just can't envision those 2x12's not carrying the weight of around 800+- lbs. I am still considering fabbing a metal frame to pull the body just as bmarler suggested and like the video you provided. I have pulled maybe a dozen or so bodies over the yearst but that was at my old shop that had an overhead "I" beam block and tackle pulley. As I finished up the upholsters panels today I have no choice but to go forward with pulling the body, there just isn't anything left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Ron do you have any helpers. If I didn't have help I couldn't do half of what I do.
    Len,

No don't have any helpers. There are a lot of old time hot rodders in the shop daily that come and go but not really the ones I would want to help with my personal projects as it would be too risky for failures or somebody to get hurt. When I built this new shop 4 or 5 years ago I had intended to put in a lift (my old lift from my previous shop), but the city slammed me on my height elevation and restricted me to 8' inside walls. I will get this body pulled, it just made this part of the build a little more difficult, although interesting.

Default NO, NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I hear you henry about barler and myself being crazy but what hot rodders aren't? However I designed and built this shop all by myself (except foundation) and the bottom cords I installed were all 2x12x30' so I'm not too worried about the rafters carrying the weight. I have one area in my shop where there is a division wall that divides the 30' span by half, this is where I am giving serious consideration to installing the ratchet straps for pulling the body, I just can't envision those 2x12's not carrying the weight of around 800+- lbs. I am still considering fabbing a metal frame to pull the body just as bmarler suggested and like the video you provided. I have pulled maybe a dozen or so bodies over the yearst but that was at my old shop that had an overhead "I" beam block and tackle pulley. As I finished up the upholsters panels today I have no choice but to go forward with pulling the body, there just isn't anything left to do.
    No, you guys are NOT crazy, I never was suggesting that and facts are, PRIDE walks along with you guys. Include KEVIN and you have a threesome that "DO" not stand around saying, 'if only'.

Hey, analyze your situation and you will come up with a good plan. Also, you figure if the lifting is on four corners, the 'load' should be a doable thing. Take care!

Henry

Len,

No don't have any helpers. There are a lot of old time hot rodders in the shop daily that come and go but not really the ones I would want to help with my personal projects as it would be too risky for failures or somebody to get hurt. When I built this new shop 4 or 5 years ago I had intended to put in a lift (my old lift from my previous shop), but the city slammed me on my height elevation and restricted me to 8' inside walls. I will get this body pulled, it just made this part of the build a little more difficult, although interesting.
    If I didn't have a scissor lift I probably would be on my computer all day and not working on cars. I tell my people that two important things to have when working/painting is height and light.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If I didn't have a scissor lift I probably would be on my computer all day and not working on cars. I tell my people that two important things to have when working/painting is height and light.

gotta agree there. i picked up an older aamco parallelogram lift and modified it so it can be rolled around and used where needed. it's perfect for getting a car up to a good height for buffing the sides. i'd love to have a good four post but there's just no place for me to put it.
    b marler

sounds like the building is plenty strong to lift that shell. and really, i'd prefer to do that by myself anyway. that way it happens nice and slow and you can gauge the result of each click of the ratchet. having people around can be a huge distraction and things get out of control quickly. i think the tough part will be deciding what order to do things. how much to paint while the body is off the frame. it's heartbreaking to damage new paint when re-assembling things.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    gotta agree there. i picked up an older aamco parallelogram lift and modified it so it can be rolled around and used where needed. it's perfect for getting a car up to a good height for buffing the sides. i'd love to have a good four post but there's just no place for me to put it.
    Yep, a four post is great for working under a car but not so good for body and paint work. Those posts can sure get in the way depending on what you're doing. The scissor lift is great for body and paint but not so good for working under the vehicle.