TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Epoxy primer on surface rust

Default Epoxy primer on surface rust

Hello all,
    I am trying to restore a VW beetle chassis which has some surface rust, and nothing that major.
    So I am thinking to cover the chassis with epoxy primer. Do you guys think is a good idea to treat the metal with Ospho first and let it dry, then neutralize it by wetting it again with Ospho and rinsing it with water and dry it quickly?
    Will epoxy primer stick to it?
    If not, can I use Ospho and then use non-acidic epoxy primer on it? will that work? If so, what non-acidic epoxy primer can you recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borna View Post
    Hello all,
    I am trying to restore a VW beetle chassis which has some surface rust, and nothing that major.
    So I am thinking to cover the chassis with epoxy primer. Do you guys think is a good idea to treat the metal with Ospho first and let it dry, then neutralize it by wetting it again with Ospho and rinsing it with water and dry it quickly?
    If not, can I use Ospho and then use non-acidic epoxy primer on it? will that work? If so, what non-acidic epoxy primer can you recommend?

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with Ospho but I'd recommend following the manufacturer's instructions on it's use. When using Picklex 20 we remove the surface rust then apply the Picklex, work it in with a scuff pad then wipe off the excess with paper towels before applying a non-acid top coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'm not familiar with Ospho but I'd recommend following the manufacturer's instructions on it's use. When using Picklex 20 we remove the surface rust then apply the Picklex, work it in with a scuff pad then wipe off the excess with paper towels before applying a non-acid top coat.
    Can you recommend a good non-acid epoxy primer (not 2k epoxy)?

Thanks

Can you recommend a good non-acid epoxy primer (not 2k epoxy)?

Thanks
    Epoxy primers are 2K and we've been having good luck with the product from The Coatings Store linked at the top of this forum. Look at the list on the left side of the screen and scroll down and click on the "Primers and Surfaces" link.

Hello all,

Thanks
    while there's certainly nothing wrong with using epoxy it might be overkill depending on what you're working on. if it's just the pan for something you intend to drive you might just want to treat it and shoot some zero rust on it. it's great for chassis work and touches up well when it chips.
    b marler

Epoxy primers are 2K and we've been having good luck with the product from The Coatings Store linked at the top of this forum. Look at the list on the left side of the screen and scroll down and click on the "Primers and Surfaces" link.

that looks like pretty good stuff len, and 40 bucks for a quart kit is very reasonable. do they have a link to the data sheet for it? i didn't see it.
    b marler

Default OSPHO...

OSPHO is a product created from PHOSPHORIC ACID. Not sure about topcoats in the autobody arena. Acts as a rust converter.

(Many years ago, DuPont had a stuff called METAL PREP which was phosphoric acid. Worked well but had to be washed off with water, dried, then we top coated with lacquer - 1973)

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    OSPHO is a product created from PHOSPHORIC ACID. Not sure about topcoats in the autobody arena. Acts as a rust converter.

(Many years ago, DuPont had a stuff called METAL PREP which was phosphoric acid. Worked well but had to be washed off with water, dried, then we top coated with lacquer - 1973)

Henry
    ospho should be treated just like metal prep. i've used it like picklex too, but think it's best to do the re-wet and rinse procedure neutralize it.
    b marler