TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: DIY Rust Spots/Chips/Scratches

Default DIY Rust Spots/Chips/Scratches

Hello,

I have a 2011 Lincoln MKZ that has a few problems:

1. Small rust spots forming on the hood/roof (from rock dings probably)
    2. Paint chipping along the trim, below the driver-side doors (no rust yet)
    3. Scratches

I am looking to patch these up myself but have never done any autobody/paint work before. So I have done some reading and have put together an approach I think will fix all 3 problems. Please advise - Let me know if I need to change anything/offer me your opinion or alternate approach etc.

My current plan is as follows:

1. Use plastic sheeting/tape to section off the affected area
    2. Clean the area with Wax and Grease Remover
    3. Use 320 grit sand paper to sand off the rust/surrounding paint
    4. Clean the area with Wax and Grease Remover a second time
    5. Wipe down with microfiber cloth
    6. Apply one or two coats of Zero-Rust, looking at the aerosol can (I am open to other primer if you have a recommendation).
    7. Scuff the area with 1000 grit sandpaper
    8. Wipe the area with a microfiber cloth
    9. Apply paint

The one I am most concerned about is the larger area of paint chipping off along the trim, under driver-side doors. Please see the pictures below.
    Thank you

Chipped Paint and Rust Spots.jpg
    Chipped and Peeling Paint.jpg
    Scratched Paint.jpg

Do you have a compressor and spray gun or are you planning on using an aerosol for everything?

I am planning to just use aerosol primer and aerosol paint.

Also, for this I was originally planning to sand these spots by hand but as I read more articles I am seeing lots of people use grinders.. Is there a significant difference between the two methods? Or is it just "as long as I remove the rust" I will be ok?

In most production shops an orbital sander is used for feathering out chips and scratches then a primer is sprayed and block sanded before painting. However block sanding by hand is also a good method. You can use an aerosol primer but I doubt that you'll get a decent match using an aerosol top coat.

if you're not going to do it properly you might want to change your plan. i'd try to clean the rust out of the chips and just dab some touch-up paint on them. if you're careful the affected area will be way less noticeable than if you spray it with a can. i've glued small dots of sandpaper to pencil erasers and used that to sand larger spots, but you might just use a small tool like a dental pick to scratch it down to good metal. you can treat it with picklex or ospho using a q tip before painting.
    same for the sill area, just get an artists brush and touch it up. then try some rubbing compound on the bumper cover and see how much of those scratches disappear.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    In most production shops an orbital sander is used for feathering out chips and scratches then a primer is sprayed and block sanded before painting. However block sanding by hand is also a good method. You can use an aerosol primer but I doubt that you'll get a decent match using an aerosol top coat.
    Thank you for the feedback. I am actually open to getting both types of sanders. Just to confirm, by block sander do you mean a squared one like this?
    2020-05-01 09_20_30-Ryobi P440 One+ 18V Lithium Ion 12, 000 RPM 1_4 Sheet Palm Sander w_ Onboard.jpg

My concern lies with the paint then now - I was looking at this

https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-p...osol&pf-kit=na

Specifically "color only" option at the end. It has the same paint code. You think this would be a highly noticable difference in color? None of the spots a very big. I am hoping to contain the work to about dime/nickle size for the rust spots.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if you're not going to do it properly you might want to change your plan. i'd try to clean the rust out of the chips and just dab some touch-up paint on them. if you're careful the affected area will be way less noticeable than if you spray it with a can. i've glued small dots of sandpaper to pencil erasers and used that to sand larger spots, but you might just use a small tool like a dental pick to scratch it down to good metal. you can treat it with picklex or ospho using a q tip before painting.
    same for the sill area, just get an artists brush and touch it up. then try some rubbing compound on the bumper cover and see how much of those scratches disappear.
    I do intend to do this to the best of my ability. I do not want to do the work only to have the rust come back in a year or anything like that. I am open to getting sanders but, it sounds like you are saying the same thing as Len, not having a spray gun is going to be the problem? See my above reply link - that is the paint that I was looking at for now. You also think that will stand out significantly?

I have used Scratch Out on the bumper, twice. It does not seem to be helping much. Is there anything you would recommend trying beyond that?

Thanks for your feedback as well. Just trying to wrap my head around this process.
    Last edited by Cam; 05-01-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I do intend to do this to the best of my ability. I do not want to do the work only to have the rust come back in a year or anything like that. I am open to getting sanders but, it sounds like you are saying the same thing as Len, not having a spray gun is going to be the problem? See my above reply link - that is the paint that I was looking at for now. You also think that will stand out significantly?

I have used Scratch Out on the bumper, twice. It does not seem to be helping much. Is there anything you would recommend trying beyond that?

Thanks for your feedback as well. Just trying to wrap my head around this process.
    bmarler is right, if you use and aerosol the repair is probably going to be more noticeable than if you touch it up with a brush. However if you use a sander you will make the repair area too large for a brush job. It's a tough call on how to do a proper repair without the proper tools. If i were in your situation I would probably use an aerosol for the base coat color (after proper prep work) then use a good two part aerosol clear over the color. The clear shown below can produce a good result but be sure to wear decent breath protection.