TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting my jet boat

Default Painting my jet boat

New here, first post. Iím getting ready to paint my jet boat, I painted my 72 GMC a few years ago so I have some experience but have a few questions on painting fiberglass. Iím only painting the top, the bottom is in good shape. The existing paint is pretty solid as far as sticking well but itís tough to get it to keep a gloss, Iím thinking of just roughing up the surface and spraying new paint right over the old, do I need to primer it first? Iím using a single stage red/orange urethane since I have a gallon on hand, trying to keep it inexpensive right now. Iím also wondering if I can smooth out some casting imperfections, thereís a couple of wavy areas Iíd like to get rid of, can I use filler on these areas or should I try to sand the gel coat? Iím a little apprehensive to sand that deep, donít want to go into the glass.
    I appreciate any suggestions! CF6578E2-A5E9-4983-A2D5-98238684C544.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know next to nothing, but one thing I do know is that boats take a hell of a beating. Slapping the water over and over and over. Personally, I would not want bondo or filler on it, but rather epoxy resin. That way you are attaching 2 like items as far as strength and temperature variants.

it's very common to use filler on boats. marine supply manufacturers call it "fairing compound" but good quality filler will work just fine. (above the water line) if you're nor going to fair the hull, just sand the existing finish, i'd probably epoxy seal it and then paint. if you do some smoothing with filler you'll need to do a primer coat over that filler so you can block it and seal the filler. if you don't the filler will soak up the paint like a sponge.
    if you do any filling below the waterline a waterproof filler in a must.
    remember to degrease it before sanding so you don't drive impurities down into the scratch.
    b marler

Default Very Cool

Cool boat, cool pickup, cool trailer, but the trailer almost looks too new to match!
    I've been wanting to pick up an older jet or v drive boat to modernize, but haven't had the opportunity yet.
    Just want something completely useless for anything but going fast and making noise.

Default Price Matters

The better fillers and better paint products almost always cost more money. If you're trying to save money you're probably not going to get the best possible result.