TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Color sanding grit progression?

Default Color sanding grit progression?

I've begun wet sanding my black single stage paint job. I have orange peel in many places to level out. In those areas, I started with 800 wet, using a narrow flat Durablock where I can. I had a couple runs and drips, and I sanded those level with 600. My question is, what would be the next step up from 800? 1,000? 1,200? Would 1,500 be used after that?

Quote Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
    I've begun wet sanding my black single stage paint job. I have orange peel in many places to level out. In those areas, I started with 800 wet, using a narrow flat Durablock where I can. I had a couple runs and drips, and I sanded those level with 600. My question is, what would be the next step up from 800? 1,000? 1,200? Would 1,500 be used after that?
    What happens when you go to a finer grit you usually can't see if you've removed all the more coarse scratches unless you use a light guide coat applied before you start sanding. On black I'd use some white guide coat then sand with 1500 then 2000 or 2500 before polishing. Unfortunately the only white guide coat I know of is by Mirka and it's $39.00 a can.

Thanks for the information, Len. That's a dry guide coat, right? Is that going to work with wet sanding?

Thanks for the information, Len. That's a dry guide coat, right? Is that going to work with wet sanding?
    They say it works for wet sanding but I've never used it.

What do you recommend for the next finer grit after the 800?

What do you recommend for the next finer grit after the 800?
    I'd say that 1000 or 1200 next.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'd say that 1000 or 1200 next.
    Thanks, Len! Also, gonna try the Mirka white guide coat.

Thanks, Len! Also, gonna try the Mirka white guide coat.
    Use a rubber squeegee to remove the excess water so that you can judge your progress.