TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 1978 Camaro project

  1. #1

    Default 1978 Camaro project

    Well car is finally ready to hit the road, thanks to the help from the experts on this site. also quick response times which is important when your dealing with re coat windows.
    Thanks for everything. Next project 1987 Trans Am
    Jimthumbnail_IMG_0685.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    41,208

    Default

    Looking good! Glad we could help.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,768

    Default Congrats!

    Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    Well car is finally ready to hit the road, thanks to the help from the experts on this site. also quick response times which is important when your dealing with re coat windows.
    Thanks for everything. Next project 1987 Trans Am
    Jimthumbnail_IMG_0685.jpg
    Looks great from hear (sounds good too!) I have followed your efforts through this restoration and you found out there are so many variables in this work. You worked you way through them and NOW look what you have! Great feeling isn't it?

    Have to ask, how did the headliner come out in the end? Also, be sure and post your progress on the next one here and thank you.

    Henry

  4. #4

    Default Headliner

    Headliner turned out 100 percent perfect, will post another picture of car outside when mud is dried up and sun is out. When I was opening door carefully checking gap it was hard to judge the gap as the opened and the fender touched, chipping the paint. ugh. so I mixed some base in with clear and dabbed the spots with a needle, it didn't turn out to good. So I sanded it down with 1000g extending out beyond damage then air brushed base, then clear. the base color is too light and can see the chip. I was going to try again but stepped back as usually a small spot like this turns into a complete redo. any suggestions?thumbnail_IMG_0686.jpg
    My friends say leave it, as does my wife, you are the only one who will notice it they say. I said ok but it really bothers me!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,768

    Default Fifty - 50 !

    Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    Headliner turned out 100 percent perfect, will post another picture of car outside when mud is dried up and sun is out. When I was opening door carefully checking gap it was hard to judge the gap as the opened and the fender touched, chipping the paint. ugh. so I mixed some base in with clear and dabbed the spots with a needle, it didn't turn out to good. So I sanded it down with 1000g extending out beyond damage then air brushed base, then clear. the base color is too light and can see the chip. I was going to try again but stepped back as usually a small spot like this turns into a complete redo. any suggestions?thumbnail_IMG_0686.jpg
    My friends say leave it, as does my wife, you are the only one who will notice it they say. I said ok but it really bothers me!!
    You know, I know every spot on anything I've done, that even to me, I don't see as time goes on. Then, I still don't see it but I remember it. What I'm trying to say is, often that little imperfection (that others say they can't see) matter to us, not because they are a screw up but they challenge our pride!

    If you used the same batch of color, perhaps you just did not put enough on so it came out lighter. (Plus you changed guns, pressure & atomization.) It is hard to see in the photo you posted and you will always see it (because 'we' did it). I've let small things like that on my own stuff, sit for a month then readdress them. See what the sun does to your paint with the weather hopefully getting better and go from there.

    The repair: You would blend a small section of the edge and for the clear, you COULD blend the clear also or clear the whole door (which on that car is about the size of a quarter panel on a new Toyota Camry).
    So, get it out in the sun, allow any changes to take place and thus getting it OFF you mind.

    VARIABLES: As we said, check all body panels BEFORE paint for situations like this and know, THIS happens to all of us! Keep us posted.

    Henry

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks Henry, Think I will leave it for now, Down the road there might be another minor repair anyway.
    I've learned damage control, be it an insect going for a walk across wet clear, burn through clear while sanding a run, etc. being able to choose and execute a fix is on the fly is huge part of being a good painter.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13,768

    Default Len said...

    Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    Thanks Henry, Think I will leave it for now, Down the road there might be another minor repair anyway.
    I've learned damage control, be it an insect going for a walk across wet clear, burn through clear while sanding a run, etc. being able to choose and execute a fix is on the fly is huge part of being a good painter.
    Len shared a trick of his about 20 years ago and I still do it. He said, he kept a long pair of tweezers nearby when painting. They come in handy to lift off the bug that decided to play 'dive bomber' in the middle of the hood. I still keep them nearby and have had to use them 4- 5 times since I learned of it.

    Henry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •