TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Budget sandable primer and input.

Default Looking for a Budget sandable primer and input.

Okay, up front, this project I'm currently doing is NOT for a show quality piece. It's basically a project to help me practice at metalworking and trying some different ideas, methods while at the same time getting something I'll use. I burn wood and wanted to update to a more capable truck and have some ideas I'll do for a bed. Truck in Question is a 1980 Chevy 1 ton 4x4. Had rust issues that were even worse than I thought once I got into it but I want something that will last. Will not be a daily driver or show piece, Just a working truck. I've completed all the metalwork work on the cab and am currently painting and here is the question. I'm looking for a decent sandable primer that won't break the bank. I am brushing/rolling the paint and will cut and buff(for grins) the showing sheetmetal. Non showing will get either rusty metal primer or straight to top coat. I'm using tractor paint that is $30.00/gal and adding hardener. Again, just an experiment. I debated rolling rusty metal primer but it would sand horribly. No primer and I'd have a lot of flaws. I know this all sounds contradictory but basically have always wanted to see what could be the result. This way I can do a panel at a time with little mess and no overspray. I don't want to set up for this and quite frankly a woods truck does not warrant it. I have done a show style job so I do know what is involved and the steps needed. I'll include some pics to show the insanity. LOL

Again if any one knows of a Decent product or Len if you have something, I'll order it.

For many of our mid-priced jobs we've been using High Teck filler primer, it would cost you $54.95 for a gallon of the primer and $28.50 for a quart of the hardener. This is not a "direct to metal" product so you should coat bare metal with a DTM product first. Of course add $hipping.

Default Wonder ?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    For many of our mid-priced jobs we've been using High Teck filler primer, it would cost you $54.95 for a gallon of the primer and $28.50 for a quart of the hardener. This is not a "direct to metal" product so you should coat bare metal with a DTM product first. Of course add $hipping.

Len, wonder what the COATING STORE might have to fit what Kevin is after. Thanks.

Henry

PS: I came back. Just did a quick search and found below:

https://shop.thecoatingstore.com/Oxy...-EP21-GKIT.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Len, wonder what the COATING STORE might have to fit what Kevin is after. Thanks.

Henry

PS: I came back. Just did a quick search and found below:

https://shop.thecoatingstore.com/Oxy...-EP21-GKIT.htm
    Yes that's a good direct-to-metal primer but it's not a sand-able filler primer.

Thanks Len. I'm trying to stay away from more than 1 primer for the $ factor. I have used this tractor paint direct to metal on other projects with great results. Best is when it was sandblasted as shown here.

After over 10 years of hard use it has held up great.

My stuff doesn't sit outside and as a rule, not out when raining or snowing and this would be the same. No extended sunlight as in the past, some of these tractor paints were known to fade. I know this is an odd request for info and I appreciate you and your members time. Just an experiment if you will.

If you're looking for a sandable primer that can go direct to metal then something like Evercoat's Super Build 4-1 may fit your needs.

A two component primer surfacer that has exceptional filling capabilities and patented 4:1 mix ratio technology. It is ideal for holding down troublesome repairs on fiberglass and SMC. Super Build 4:1 passes 500 hours in salt spray tests (ASTM B117) and can be applied over properly sanded and cleaned bare metal. It is compatible with waterborne paint systems and VOC compliant. Must be catalyzed with 733 4:1 Polyester Primer Catalyst or 734 Fast Polyester Primer Catalyst only!

Is this like Slick Sand and sets up wicked quick?

Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    Is this like Slick Sand and sets up wicked quick?
    Super Build is sold with the option of two different activators, a fast and a slower. I haven't used it but I doubt that the slower hardener is as fast as Slick Sand. I use a lot of SS and I agree it's real fast and you need your act together prior to mixing it but it does a great job at leveling body work.

This sounds like the best option. I did a search of your store but did not find it. Do you handle it or go elsewhere? I've found it on Ebay with the catalyst as a package but they don't say dry time. Seems they are all selling it with 733. As long as it's ready to sand in 20 hrs, I'd be happy. I used Slick sand I got from you as well and that stuff is awesome but once you mix it, don't let off the trigger and clean everything everytime you reload. Don't think you could brush it out quick enough. LOL! Stuff worked flawless for me and I'd never do a high end project without it. This has been a learning process for me in metalworking that I'll use on projects that matter.

Replicated both sides of the seam then ground the seam to match on the back side after welding.

Nice work as usual Kevin.

I do sell it. At this time it's not in the online store. I sell it for $119.50 for the Super Build and $29.85 for the activator. If that's within your price range call me 609-859-3670

I know it sounds stupid, but I use Rustoleum "Cold Galvanizing primer" in a rattle can. Its thin, and penetrates everything. 1 big spray can goes a longgg way. Its loaded with zinc which prevents rust pretty well. spray heavy so it squeezes into gaps between the steel, paints well with a top coat of anything of your choice. Dries to the touch in minutes. Works for me, is sandable and paintable for quick turnover. Bill

I've been using Tamco 5310, 5311 and 5312 primers since summer of 2017. It builds like slicksand mixed 4:1 but uses and actual activator instead of mek. I do 4:1:1 as medium build and 4:1:2 as a really slick sealer. Before I was using house of kolor kd3000 but the tamco surpasses it in every way especially in sanding. It doesn't load the paper like manly of the other primers I've used in the past and it is 100% direct to metal. The 5311 has rust encapsulation in it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    I've been using Tamco 5310, 5311 and 5312 primers since summer of 2017. It builds like slicksand mixed 4:1 but uses and actual activator instead of mek. I do 4:1:1 as medium build and 4:1:2 as a really slick sealer. Before I was using house of kolor kd3000 but the tamco surpasses it in every way especially in sanding. It doesn't load the paper like manly of the other primers I've used in the past and it is 100% direct to metal. The 5311 has rust encapsulation in it as well.
    i've heard of this primer but never tried it. how's the price? it seems like the people that use tamco really like their stuff.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i've heard of this primer but never tried it. how's the price? it seems like the people that use tamco really like their stuff.
    It's the best primer I've ever used honestly. It is 100% dtm unlike many others. It sands great and costs around $115 or so I think for a gallon. I do a lot of small parts mad have been using their 30 minute clear and absolutely love it. Since I paint mostly in my garage out of dust is crucial for me. Being able to sand and buff in 30 min is nice. I've used all of their clears except for the 2021 and really like them as well. Lots of people switching over from PPG because the quality is the same if not better and price is really good. You could probably contact them and they will send you a qt for free to try out.

Upol primer 2025 dtm is awesome for restoration...
    Also Automotive Art dtm primer..

I have been using Pure Reflections dtm primer that is high build and applied with 1.3 or 1.4 tip gun....yes, I didnít believe it until I tried it, sprays like sealer or base coat and leaves high build finish...4:1 mix no reducer so less reactions, no sinking, minimal shrinkage...

The best primer for collision work I have ever used,,...an eye opener..,,sands so easy and lays smooth ,saves hours...