TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Full color change for a DIY at home....Sealer Question

Default Full color change for a DIY at home....Sealer Question

I've painted body panels myself for years at home with varying levels of success. Most of the time it was getting clear coat to lay down flat "enough". In the coming weekends I will be doing a full color change from Honda's Nighthawk Black Pearl to Harley Davidson Wicked Red Denim. I saw this color on a bike around the time I was growing tired of the black and I fell in love with it.

Having never done a color change I wasn't 100% sure what to expect. I replaced my metal hood with a carbon fiber one so decided to use my old hood as a test panel. I expected the color to be slightly different because of the black base coat but I didn't expect such a dramatic difference.

At this point I knew I needed sealer. I've never used this stuff before so wasn't sure exactly what I was getting into. It seems rather expensive when it looks more or less like white paint so I'm fairly confident it just has a much higher pigment load than standard white to do it's hiding magic.

The vehicle is a 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan. The question is, how much sealer will I need to cover the following pieces: front bumper, front bumper under spoiler, fenders, side skirts, rear bumper, rear bumper under spoiler, trunk, wing, all 4 doors, roof, and door jambs?

One other aside question if anyone cares or can answer, does a matte clear coat finish typically come out with a bit more orange peel than a high gloss, all other things being equal? I sprayed one half of the hood high gloss and the other half matte/satin and the high gloss side came out almost like glass but the matte/satin side has some orange peel in it. The finish from Harley is matte/satin and I want to go with that but it's my first time working with matting additive. I wasn't sure if the additive tends to make the finish a bit more rough.

Quote Originally Posted by jdguth View Post
    I've painted body panels myself for years at home with varying levels of success. Most of the time it was getting clear coat to lay down flat "enough". In the coming weekends I will be doing a full color change from Honda's Nighthawk Black Pearl to Harley Davidson Wicked Red Denim. I saw this color on a bike around the time I was growing tired of the black and I fell in love with it.

Having never done a color change I wasn't 100% sure what to expect. I replaced my metal hood with a carbon fiber one so decided to use my old hood as a test panel. I expected the color to be slightly different because of the black base coat but I didn't expect such a dramatic difference.

At this point I knew I needed sealer. I've never used this stuff before so wasn't sure exactly what I was getting into. It seems rather expensive when it looks more or less like white paint so I'm fairly confident it just has a much higher pigment load than standard white to do it's hiding magic.

The vehicle is a 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan. The question is, how much sealer will I need to cover the following pieces: front bumper, front bumper under spoiler, fenders, side skirts, rear bumper, rear bumper under spoiler, trunk, wing, all 4 doors, roof, and door jambs?

One other aside question if anyone cares or can answer, does a matte clear coat finish typically come out with a bit more orange peel than a high gloss, all other things being equal? I sprayed one half of the hood high gloss and the other half matte/satin and the high gloss side came out almost like glass but the matte/satin side has some orange peel in it. The finish from Harley is matte/satin and I want to go with that but it's my first time working with matting additive. I wasn't sure if the additive tends to make the finish a bit more rough.
    sealer coverage is going to be dependent on the product used. some people just use thinned epoxy, i like a dedicated sealer. i would think a quart would probably do that car. sealer is pretty thin and is usually applied right before paint.
    i used some transtar kwik seal 6200 series recently and it worked well. 4:1:1 mix, pretty inexpensive. there's a lot of other choices though, and better products usually carry higher price tags.
    others will have more to say about the clear. i don't have enough experience with it to give advice.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    sealer coverage is going to be dependent on the product used. some people just use thinned epoxy, i like a dedicated sealer. i would think a quart would probably do that car. sealer is pretty thin and is usually applied right before paint.
    i used some transtar kwik seal 6200 series recently and it worked well. 4:1:1 mix, pretty inexpensive. there's a lot of other choices though, and better products usually carry higher price tags.
    others will have more to say about the clear. i don't have enough experience with it to give advice.
    Whoa, just a quart? Well that makes me happy. I got some prices and the stuff isnít necessarily cheap. Glad to hear it wonít be another $200-$300 for the project.

Iíll play with my gun to see if I can get better flow. Thanks for the help.

Whoa, just a quart? Well that makes me happy. I got some prices and the stuff isnít necessarily cheap. Glad to hear it wonít be another $200-$300 for the project.

If you use cheap paint it could take twice as much to achieve coverage. If the existing paint is in good shape and you use "good" paint you shouldn't need a sealer especially if the existing paint is a base/clear. We use either Diamont or Glasurit and never use a sealer unless we feel that the existing color is going to bleed through the new paint.

a quart at 4:1:1 gives a quart and a half to spray. maybe a little more if you over reduce it to get it to come out nice and thin. don't stray too far from the recommended mix though.
    b marler