TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Buffing out plastic fender stone guard overlay with gas stain ???

Default Buffing out plastic fender stone guard overlay with gas stain ???

My son in law has a 16 Tundra. It has those small triangular shaped clear plastic stone guard on the lower fender ahead of the rear wheel arch. He slopped some gas onto it by accident and it caused the whitish stain in the clear plastic. I tried some Neuwax on it and it didnít rub out. Will compound take this off ? I donít want to make it worse. Apologies for the double pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    My son in law has a 16 Tundra. It has those small triangular shaped clear plastic stone guard on the lower fender ahead of the rear wheel arch. He slopped some gas onto it by accident and it caused the whitish stain in the clear plastic. I tried some Neuwax on it and it didn’t rub out. Will compound take this off ? I don’t want to make it worse. Apologies for the double pic
    Compound may work but it will depend on how deep the gas got into the plastic. I would try a little compound on a damp cloth or paper towel and rub it hard on a small area to see if it erases the damage and if not then you'll need to replace the film.

You can also try some clear liquid "gloss enhancer" made by several companies. The damage is most likely very small pores and a gloss enhancer may not repair them but it could make the divots invisible but would need to be used again and again as the problem becomes visible again.
    Last edited by Len; 02-26-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks Len ,thatís what I was thinking but I wanted to hear it from somebody with more experience first. The gas was another very long just a few hours from what he said. Iíll post back how it went the next time I get a hold of the truck