TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiberglass hood refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnorkel99 View Post
    It is ppg omni mtk9300 which is a single stage.
    If it's a solid (non-metallic) color you may be able to level it then polish it without the need for repainting. If you do sand through and need to repaint send another picture of the problem and we'll continue to solve the problem. A fact you should remember is that the paint around a run is almost always thinner above the run.

Color is solid black. I will send pic later tonight.
    After i messed up the run with razor i hit the run with 600 grit to level it out. Thank you.

Thank you for your help and ideas and the drawing which explains the process easier.
    Well i tried the razor blade idea and dug a little to deep with the paint and can see the primer in one spot.

Can i spot spray that area with out shooting the whole hood??

Also paint seems a little soft still. Sprayed hood on wendsday night. I have heat in garage have it set to 60 after i was done spraying. Maybe raise temp to 70 for a while??
    If you dug too deep then your tape might not have been built up enough. I have been using this method for 40 years and it is generally my go to fix on product application runs in hard to sand areas where a nibbler or block cannot reach. To recap from my previous post 1) build tape in layers at or above the run 2) keep razor parallel to surface 3) use light, smooth and clean strokes 4) start with a new blade and change blades often 5) peel layers of tape as you work down to surface 6) have patience and work slowly

You did use tape to build up the surface on each side of the run correct? If tape was used and you ran blade parallel to the surface you should not be able to dig into the finish. Please let me know what went wrong with your attempt to scrape away the runs high surface or where (if) you deviated from the instructions given as I will be hesitant to pass this particular method on in the future to others for fear of them having the same result. I have used this method dozens upon dozens of times over the years without a problem. I'm not at all trying to pick on your results but it's important too me to understand where I might have failed in my instructions before I would be willing to pass on this repair to another car enthusiast.

As Len stated post a pic of the area. I doubt you will have to shoot the entire hood again due to this one spot, but to be certain please show an updated pic of repair area. Generally you can start your wet color sanding on the entire hood with 1000g wet. When you get to the area in question hit that area with 600g and re-shoot/feather in new paint. I personally do not like my booth temps under 70 degrees but it's not necessary. If your shop temps are around 60 degrees you must compensate for cooler temperatures, i.e. longer flash times between coats, extended dry times for sanding, etc..

Here is the pic after i sanded the area with 600.
    It was my fault with the blade your instructions
    Where very clear and easy to follow. Paint was softer then i would of thought.

The run was on the very front of the hood and ran to bottom edge. So i had nothing to guide my blade on the bottom.

What is the best way to blend in this area with the rest of hood. Thank you for your time and help.

20200313_165804.jpg

If the damage is just along that lower edge you should be able to mask along the peak and just blend over the damage. If I were doing it I'd use "Smooth Transition Tape" along the peak so that my tape wouldn't leave a ridge that would be difficult to remove.

Ok thank you did not know they made a tape like that.
    Nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Runs can be difficult on occasion when they land in difficult areas. Just as Len states a Nib File or Run Blocker generally works fine. Here is one more option to consider. You can apply several layers of tape, one on top of the other, just outside of the run area, until the tape surface is right at or just above the level of the run. Now using a razor blade parallel to the surface you can scrape away the cc. This method calls for patients as the strokes with the razor need to be clean, light and smooth. Always start with a new razor blade and change often to keep the surface sharp. Keeping the razor blade parallel to the surface and slowly scraping away the cc run until the surface is flat. The layers of tape will keep you from going too deep. As the run becomes level with the tape, start peeling off layers of the tape one at a time until you get to the last tape line and switch over to wet sanding.
    Run blocks come in a variety of grades ranging from fine to course, I generally only use my fine block. De-nibblers allow you to use the paper grit of choice for taking away the run. Hope this helps.
    This method works, but it works better if you tape each end of the blade and no tape on car,

the best method is a shark blade

https://www.amazon.com/Mirka-S-Blade.../dp/B00TUO24FG

20200405_103317.jpg

I finally finished the hood. I repainted the whole hood
    I had a spot that the paint bubbled i guess i did not clean good enough. So i fixed the spot and wet sanded with 600.

Got more comfortable with the gun and paint laid down much nicer second time around.
    There is some dust particles in the paint.
    Hopefully will polish out.

Thank you everybody for your help and knowledge.

I am happy how the hood turned out being this is my first attempt at body work and painting.

20200405_103317.jpg

I finally finished the hood. I repainted the whole hood
    I had a spot that the paint bubbled i guess i did not clean good enough. So i fixed the spot and wet sanded with 600.

Got more comfortable with the gun and paint laid down much nicer second time around.
    There is some dust particles in the paint.
    Hopefully will polish out.

Thank you everybody for your help and knowledge.

I am happy how the hood turned out being this is my first attempt at body work and painting.

Nice job! Glad this turned out well.