TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass hood refinishing.

Default Fiberglass hood refinishing.

Need advise on proper way to finish my fiberglass hood.
    Hood was a 2.5 cowl for my 85 mustang but was to
    Low. So i cut the hood and raised hood to about 4.5 inches.

I built up fiberglass from the back side to get my initial shape. Then i used shortstrand filler on the top side to get closer to final shape.

I have rage ultra to use to get my final smooth finish.
    My question will rage ultra work ontop of sanded gelcoat. And what would be the right primer to use over the rage and gelcoat. I do have a cheap harbor freight spray gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip.

Not sure on topcoat as of yet still have to do the rest of car.

Thank you Scott20200202_151449.jpg

The Rage will work but you should sand the glass first with some 80 grit or more coarse before applying the Rage. After sanding the Rage apply several coats of filler primer then guide coat and block sand with a fine grit before painting.

"I have rage ultra to use to get my final smooth finish.
    My question will rage ultra work ontop of sanded gelcoat. And what would be the right primer to use over the rage and gelcoat."

Yes, Rage will work over gel coat. If this were in my shop I would hit repair area with 80g for a mechanical bite that extends well into the existing paint. Clean with grease and wax remover, apply Rage body filler and sand entire hood with 180g. Apply a quality epoxy primer followed by a quality HB primer.

Thank you for the advise.

Entire hood is gelcoat i sanded entire hood with 80.
    I posted picture of hood before sanding. Is there any good primer filler out of spray cans?? I do have a spray gun harbor freight special.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnorkel99 View Post

I posted picture of hood before sanding. Is there any good primer filler out of spray cans?? I do have a spray gun harbor freight special.
    Spray Max makes a two part filler primer in an aerosol can but you may need more than one can to spray the entire hood then guide coat and block sand.

Thank you Len for your help.

i'd use the hf gun for the primer. it will go much better than spray cans. spray cans won't give the film build you will need, especially if you're trying to fill 80 grit scratch.
    i'd have sanded again with finer grits before primer. like 80 to 150 to 220, then prime. 80 grit will show through unless you skim coat the entire hood or shoot some slick sand or similar.
    b marler

Thank you for your ideas.
    I will look into buying a quart or gallon of primer filler.

Thank you for your ideas.
    I will look into buying a quart or gallon of primer filler.

I'd recommend using a quart of Slick Sand because it doesn't shrink in later and will look good for a long time as long as it's sanded properly however you would need a spray gun with a 1.8 or larger fluid nozzle.

Hi all finally got around to painting the hood. Thanks for everybodys help. While painting the hood in my garage my tyvek suit caught the saw horse and i almost knocked my hood on the ground.

I saved it but i was mid spray and grab the hood with one hand and kept finger on trigger.. ughh. So i have this run in the paint.

What would be the best way to try to fix this.
    Paint was ppg omni black single stage.

Thank you..

20200312_071834.jpg

If that run is over the edge of the hood it will make it a little more difficult to remove. Normally I would use a Nib File on a flat surface but for something like that I'd use a Run Blocker and sandpaper..... LINK

Default Runs

Runs can be difficult on occasion when they land in difficult areas. Just as Len states a Nib File or Run Blocker generally works fine. Here is one more option to consider. You can apply several layers of tape, one on top of the other, just outside of the run area, until the tape surface is right at or just above the level of the run. Now using a razor blade parallel to the surface you can scrape away the cc. This method calls for patients as the strokes with the razor need to be clean, light and smooth. Always start with a new razor blade and change often to keep the surface sharp. Keeping the razor blade parallel to the surface and slowly scraping away the cc run until the surface is flat. The layers of tape will keep you from going too deep. As the run becomes level with the tape, start peeling off layers of the tape one at a time until you get to the last tape line and switch over to wet sanding.
    Run blocks come in a variety of grades ranging from fine to course, I generally only use my fine block. De-nibblers allow you to use the paper grit of choice for taking away the run. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for your help and ideas and the drawing which explains the process easier.
    Well i tried the razor blade idea and dug a little to deep with the paint and can see the primer in one spot.

Can i spot spray that area with out shooting the whole hood??

Also paint seems a little soft still. Sprayed hood on wendsday night. I have heat in garage have it set to 60 after i was done spraying. Maybe raise temp to 70 for a while??

Thank you for your help and ideas and the drawing which explains the process easier.
    Well i tried the razor blade idea and dug a little to deep with the paint and can see the primer in one spot.

Can i spot spray that area with out shooting the whole hood??

Also paint seems a little soft still. Sprayed hood on wendsday night. I have heat in garage have it set to 60 after i was done spraying. Maybe raise temp to 70 for a while??
    What kind of paint? Is it base/clear?

It is ppg omni mtk9300 which is a single stage.