TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Epoxy Primer through my Paint Gun? Is Cleaning the only concern?

Default Epoxy Primer through my Paint Gun? Is Cleaning the only concern?

Hello again. First time painter.

I purchased a Devilbiss Finishline 4 kit with 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8 tips.

I am meticulously prepping the car and really want to do a good job painting it.

I planned on using this gun to spray everything. Primer, paint, and clear coat.

Is properly cleaning the gun the only concern for running primer through it? I will remain a hobbyist, so wear and tear is not a major concern.

I have a $25 Harbor Freight HVLP gun sitting new in a box that I could use. But I would like the practice of spraying primer through my FLG4, which hopefully will lay down a smoother primer for a better sanding experience.

My Purchases and Plan:
    Eastwood Epoxy Primer - 2 coats
    Eastwood 2K Primer - 2 or 3 coats. Then block
    ATX paint
    Finish 1 Universal Clear

Yes you can use your FLG4 for spraying everything just make sure you clean it well between products. Check out the "Spray Gun Cleaning" video at the top of the General Discussion forum.

For priming I'd probably go with the Harbor Freight gun but it depends on what tip size it has.

Thanks Len. I have definitely watched your cleaning videos more than once! Very nicely done, thank you!

Is using the cheaper gun for the purpose of protecting your better guns?
    Or is it to keep potential particles of primer from getting into your paint and clearcoat?

Or is there another thought process behind why nearly everyone recommends using the cheaper gun for primer?

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Thanks Len. I have definitely watched your cleaning videos more than once! Very nicely done, thank you!

Or is it to keep potential particles of primer from getting into your paint and clearcoat?

Or is there another thought process behind why nearly everyone recommends using the cheaper gun for primer?
    We use our older Sata NR2000 for spraying most primers so that we don't take the chance of getting any particles of primer in our top coats. We clean our guns very well but some primers can become difficult to remove so to be safe we don't take chances and we keep primer out of our top coat guns.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post

way back when i first started this stuff i only had one gun. i quickly learned that getting old primer particles in my top coats was not something i wanted to have. it's tough enough to keep dust down, but having junk come from the gun is discouraging to say the least.
    that hf gun probably has a 1.4 tip or maybe 1.8 and will work great for primer. i use them frequently for that. if your product is mixed right it will lay down just fine. if it's not spraying well after doing all the adjustments you can, try over reducing the primer.
    i would never consider running primer through my top coat gun, i'd buy another gun first if my regular primer gun took a crap.
    b marler

one more thought. the quality of a good gun will be lost on primer. primer doesn't spray/atomize as fine as actual paint/clear. by nature it is a thicker coating, and will almost always require blocking to get a flat surface that you'd want to apply your top coats on. sealer would be about the only exception to that rule. i'd never run sealer through my good gun either, but i'd use something better than the hf gun.
    b marler