TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rust on bottom of door

Default Rust on bottom of door

I bought this 06 accord about a week ago, and it came with some rust on the bottom of the drivers side door, as well as some in the door sill. Just wondering if anyone could tell me how bad this is, as well as what I can do to at least stop it from spreading. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Iíll assume thatís the inside of the door and the photo is upside down. The easiest fix and the one that will last the longest is to get another door the same color that isnít rusted and just unbolt and swap the door. I just looked on car-part.com and found 37 pages of doors with 50 doors per page for drivers side alone. You should find a good selection near you. If you want to go the fix up way, wash the work area well, wire brush the loose chunks away then sand it well, prime and paint it but know that the rust is going to come back. You can't get at the rust under the fold in the metal nor the inside of the door and every time your car is out in the rain water is going to get inside the door. Good paint and primer alone will cost more than a recycled door.

Bob K

I would do the same as Bob suggested and also take the trim panel off the inside of the door and apply a good self-leveling seam sealer at the bottom of the door where the outer panel meets the jamb. The cause of the rust is moisture inside the door getting into the seam and the sealer (if applied properly) will stop that problem.

Thanks for the replies! Since I only paid $3000 for it, for now I'll try treating it and see where that gets me. I'll also attach a picture of the door sill rust -how bad is that?20200128_210212.jpg20200128_210212.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joeleodabomb View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Since I only paid $3000 for it, for now I'll try treating it and see where that gets me. I'll also attach a picture of the door sill rust -how bad is that?20200128_210212.jpg20200128_210212.jpg
    I agree with Bob and Len on the door lip rust. the only permanent repair of that rust is to either change the door or cut the rust out and replace the rust section with new metal (patch panel for the lower outer door skin and a patch panel for the inner lower door section. A LOT of work and way more expensive than replacing the whole door with a rust free replacement door.

From what I can see in the picture - repairing the door sill rust is a piece of cake and a permanent repair. Apparently the door sill plate edge moved enough that it rubbed the paint off in that area and caused the rust. Sand the area down to bare metal, sand blast the rust pits out, epoxy prime and spray new paint in that area. Anything short of that will result in the rust returning. You will also need to find a way to avoid that sill plate causing the same damage again. (clear auto body tape, would be one way).