TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Primer not sticking to seam sealer

Default Primer not sticking to seam sealer

Long time reader and first post. This has always been a great resource for us newbies.

I applied Fusor 804HD seam sealer to my doors. See attached photos. Waited a couple of days and shot them with Omni epoxy primer and two coats of Omni 282 high build. Fast forward to today and I am wet sanding with 600. The primer just cracks right off the sealer. The Fusor appears to be bonded well with the metal.

What do I need to do to remedy the situation?

20200124_124716.jpg20200124_124711.jpg20200124_124708.jpg

If I understand this correctly, I'm guessing it is your Omni 282 high build that is probably peeling correct? This appears to be on your door end where the skin over laps onto the doors inside structure. I never apply seam sealer on door ends with the intent of bc/cc over it. When I use seam sealer it is only for those gaps that will end in epoxy primer, i.e., floor pans, inside cowl, etc., everything else gets either body filler or ss fiber filler.

Hmmm I've never had that problem with the Fusor sealers but I've never used it with Omni primer and I don't sand the primer that's on the sealer. So I guess it's one of those variables.....

1. The type of primer
    2. Wet sanding but I would think whether you wet or dry sand it's going to fail.

Be sure you apply your epoxy primer wet and allow it to harden before your next step.
    If possible try a different primer

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Hmmm I've never had that problem with the Fusor sealers but I've never used it with Omni primer and I don't sand the primer that's on the sealer. So I guess it's one of those variables.....

1. The type of primer
    2. Wet sanding but I would think whether you wet or dry sand it's going to fail.

Be sure you apply your epoxy primer wet and allow it to harden before your next step.
    If possible try a different primer
    Len,

Do you normally use seam sealer in this location?

I stripped these doors back to metal and removed the old sealer as it was cracking in spots. I applied epoxy primer then a couple coats of high build. So I guess the epoxy failed to adhere to the sealer.

You guys thinking is to sand off all the primer on the sealer and shoot another coat of epoxy? No need for high build again as I will go right back with bb/cc.

The idea of the high build was to not have to scuff and reapply epoxy before bb/cc. It was going to be a while before I got to these doors.

Thanks as always

Quote Originally Posted by fastfiat81 View Post
    I stripped these doors back to metal and removed the old sealer as it was cracking in spots. I applied epoxy primer then a couple coats of high build. So I guess the epoxy failed to adhere to the sealer.

You guys thinking is to sand off all the primer on the sealer and shoot another coat of epoxy? No need for high build again as I will go right back with bb/cc.

The idea of the high build was to not have to scuff and reapply epoxy before bb/cc. It was going to be a while before I got to these doors.

Thanks as always
    I don't use seam sealer at all where the door skin over laps onto the door structure for either the latch or hinge side, I use either body filler, ss fiberglass or aluminized filler depending on the gaps. I never use a seam sealer in a location that requires a bc/cc finish. What make and model vehicle is this on?

This is on a mid 80s Fiat that I am trying to replicate what the factory has done. Did I use the wrong product?

This is on a mid 80s Fiat that I am trying to replicate what the factory has done. Did I use the wrong product?
    I can't personally say as I have little knowledge of foreign vehicles. It could possible be that they coated the seam sealer with primer followed by bc/cc or single stage. However I would never have gone with a hb primer over epoxy primer that sits on seam sealer as it's too unstable. If you took before pics prior to starting this restoration please post as I think it would reveal much. With the little knowledge I have with foreign vehicles I found that they can sometimes do things a bit different. If they did in fact use a sealer in that area it would be nice to know what they used as sealers from 35 years ago are not what they are today. I would think the fusion would be more than adequate for your application followed by an appropriate epoxy sealer, bc/cc or single stage, but again I have never used Omni epoxy. You might consider contacting Fiat and see what they have to say but I doubt they used a silicone or butyl based material without expecting it to crack, otherwise I would strip the entire seam down to metal and start new in that area as I can't imagine how your going to sand the sealer to a replicated finish.

i'm wondering if removing all the high build and spraying a coat of epoxy then bc/cc would solve the issue.

i'm wondering if removing all the high build and spraying a coat of epoxy then bc/cc would solve the issue.
    Very possibly but I would be curious on how your going to accomplish this? Not saying it isn't possible but I have never been in this situation. If you can get this down to sealer and epoxy primer, hit with another coat of epoxy followed by bc/cc you may be very well set. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Len,

Do you normally use seam sealer in this location?
    In those areas I use mostly the two part, self-leveling seam sealer. But it also takes a special dispenser gun.