TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Is a glaze really necessary?

Default Is a glaze really necessary?

Is glaze coat really necessary to put over regular body filler?I mean can't you just prime over your traditional body filler with a urethane high build primer and call it good?

Quote Originally Posted by paintpitlion View Post
    Is glaze coat really necessary to put over regular body filler?I mean can't you just prime over your traditional body filler with a urethane high build primer and call it good?
    A glazing putty is not mandatory but most are easier to sand than standard fillers and can be used to tweak the leveling process. However if you use a filler that levels easily you can skip the putty and go straight to primer. We've experimented with many different types of fillers and found that the Rage Ultra and Rage Extreme sand easily but are more expensive. We now use Z-Grip because it sands easily and isn't as expensive as others. However if you're using body filler that is hard to sand then using a glazing putty usually makes the leveling a lot easier.

Usually the cheaper the filler the more pin holes you'll get. I have used Z-Grip for at least a couple decades because it's a good inexpensive filler with minimal pin holes. Pin holes can also be cause by applying the filler too fast and not "working out" the air bubbles in the filler (cause of pin holes). I have used fillers like Rage Extreme that are closer to spot putty than regular filler. Spreads very smooth, no pin holes and sands like polyester spot putty. Last I heard was the paint store said close to $70 a gallon for Rage Extreme. That is at least double and possibly triple what Z-Grip costs. I have used several gallons of Rage Extreme and I really like how it applied and sanded but holy crap is that stuff expensive.

Really cheap filler gets harder than a brick and clogs the sandpaper. I refuse to use filler like that. It's not cheaper in the long run compared to a good quality filler.