TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Roloc discs prep

Default Roloc discs prep

New to the forum here Iíve searched for some info but havenít found it exactly. Iím stocking up on consumables to tackle this truck resto of mine (gonna be my first one) and wanted some input on whatís the best 2Ē and 3Ē roloc pads to use where a patch panel will be welded in. Iíve used 120 grit rolocs and was looking at the green and brown scuff roloc pads like to see what yíall go to. Didnít wanna take away too much metal and have a good prep for welding at the same time. Also gonna be getting some 60 grit for where Iíll put some filler. Like to see what you guys use. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fermentedwaste View Post
    New to the forum here Iíve searched for some info but havenít found it exactly. Iím stocking up on consumables to tackle this truck resto of mine (gonna be my first one) and wanted some input on whatís the best 2Ē and 3Ē roloc pads to use where a patch panel will be welded in. Iíve used 120 grit rolocs and was looking at the green and brown scuff roloc pads like to see what yíall go to. Didnít wanna take away too much metal and have a good prep for welding at the same time. Also gonna be getting some 60 grit for where Iíll put some filler. Like to see what you guys use. Thanks!
    Welcome aboard!

We use the 3" 36 grit Roloc disks almost exclusively, they remove paint and primer quickly and give the metal a good texture that helps the filler bond well with the surface.

my roloc arsenal includes 36,80 and 120 grit aluminum oxide, plus coarse, medium, and fine non-woven. (scotch brite style)
    i use a ton of the non-woven abrasive discs. i like them for blending welds after roughing them in with 80/120 grit. but if you're going to skim coat with filler don't go finer than 80 grit.
    the fine discs (blue scotch brite style) are really for polishing so i use them the least.
    b marler

Thanks guys Iíll be picking me up some of these. A lot of good info here! Iím sure Iíll be in and out through this whole restore project.

Default Roloc disk

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Welcome aboard!

We use the 3" 36 grit Roloc disks almost exclusively, they remove paint and primer quickly and give the metal a good texture that helps the filler bond well with the surface.

Does this kit come with the mandrel for discs used in the drill? Thanks
    dlm

Quote Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    Does this kit come with the mandrel for discs used in the drill? Thanks
    dlm
    No it's sold separately.