TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint booth purchase question

Default Paint booth purchase question

So I built my last booth and used it for over 20 years. I don't paint a ton, but I do some nicer cars. I moved and built a new 48x72x16 shop. I am looking at putting in a real paint booth. I have gotten a few quotes and they are around 20k. I don't need a heating system and will be putting in my own fire suppression system. I want a booth at least 27' long and a minimum of 14 wide interior working area, I would rather have one 15' wide.

Looking to see what others have bought recently and what suggestions you have for a good hobby booth. I was hoping to spend around 15k-17k, but I'm not sure I can do that. I want it powder coated, single phase, and simi downdraft. Below is bid I received for a booth. The cost is actually $18,150, plus shipping to make it $19,250.

Any opinions would be great, thanks!

2019 VECTOR Semi Down Draft
    INSIDE WORK AREA DIM. 14'W x27'Lx9'H
    CONSTRUCTION : Pre-punched single wall panels 18 ga. galvanized steel panels Self-support airtight construction 6" O.C precision punched
    MECHANICAL & MOTOR : (1) - 30 12,900 CFM Tube-axial fan. (1) - 3HP-3PH-240v motor High capacity exhaust Dayton belt drive & pulley systems
    FILTRATION : (20) - Exhaust filters frame (2) - Intake filters frame (40) - Wiregrids Dim: 20" x 20" x 2" Exhaust plenum located center back Fiberglass filters Dim: 20" x 20" x 2" Tacky Filters Dim: 38" x 120" 2"
    MAIN DOOR : (4) Solid Doors with tubular frame
    Man access door: 36" x 84
    LIGHTING : 4' light fixtures with 4 LED lamps (6) upper horizontal light fixtures (4) lower vertical light fixtures Energy efficient ballast 120V 60Hz Heat-treated tempered glass " x 48" x 14" safety glass
    1 x $11,500.00
    Powder coat ultra white inside and out of the spray booth. cover all wall panels, doors frame, floor channels and ceiling panels.
    Do the front doors black 9 (set of doors )
    1 x $2,900.00
    2,900.00*
    Ducting kit for spray booth exhaust system.
    (2) Plain duct, (1) Service door duct, (1) Flashing for roof and (1) damper cap
    1 x $1,400.00
    Controls for spray booth:
    mag start for motor with on and off switch and reset. Interlock valve with door limit switches for on and off on spray cycle
    1 x $1,100.00
    POWERSAVER VFD :
    PowerSaver is a variable frequency drive technology
    1 x $890.00
    890.00*
    4' 4 tube light fixture t8 LED
    2 x $180.00
    360.00*
    Subtotal
    TAX 0%
    Shipping
    Total

Default WOW!

LOVE the size of your new shop. That's the way to go (72 feet) - yes sir!

I have no info for you on a new booth but often see or hear of many really good ones up for sale for an assortment of reasons. I might not rule one of those out.

But hey, best of luck and keep us posted on what you do. WOW - to be younger and moving in your direction is HUGE - enjoy the ride!

Henry

I built my own booth that can be seen HERE but I've got to clean it well before I spray. In my old shop many years ago I purchased a booth but it wasn't a down draft, if I were to do it again I would definitely go with a down draft booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I built my own booth that can be seen HERE but I've got to clean it well before I spray. In my old shop many years ago I purchased a booth but it wasn't a down draft, if I were to do it again I would definitely go with a down draft booth.
    I'm thinking the simi downdraft will be better than what I had. I talked to a guy locally today who has a new booth simi downdraft that's about 5 years old, but never put up. Still in the crates. He wants about 9k for it.

It's not powder coated and does not have LED light. I could maybe paint it and change out the lights as needed?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I'm thinking the simi downdraft will be better than what I had. I talked to a guy locally today who has a new booth simi downdraft that's about 5 years old, but never put up. Still in the crates. He wants about 9k for it.

It's not powder coated and does not have LED light. I could maybe paint it and change out the lights as needed?
    Yep that sounds like a pretty good deal especially if you can control the air flow and temperature.

hell yes, i'd look hard at that. epoxy paint will hold up almost as good as powder coat, maybe better. like len says, as long as you can control the air flow like you want it's a great deal. brand new panels won't take much prep to paint too. if the lights are florescent tube you can just swap led. keep the ballasts or bypass, either way is no problem.
    b marler

Default Out there!

Glad you stumbled onto this one. They have to be out there! Hope this may work out for you at half the cost. Can't beat that with a stick. Is it the size you want? (Price does sound great) Good luck!

Henry

Here is the exact booth he has.

M-TEK SPRAY BOOTHS CONSTRUCTION: 18 GA. ZINC GALVANIZED STEEL PANELS, COMPANION FLANGED

AND PRE-PUNCHED AT 6" ON CENTER FOR EASY ASSEMBLY WITH 1/4" NUTS AND BOLTS.

INCLUDED:

SPRAY BOOTH OUTSIDE DIM. 14'-4"Wide x 27'-4"Long x 11'-2"High
    LARGE INSIDE WORK AREA DIM. 14'Wide x 25'-6"Long x 9'High
    (10) 4 TUBE LED LIGHT FIXTURES 120V. (BULBS INCLUDED)
    (1) 30" DIA. TUBEAXIAL BELT DRIVE EXHAUST FAN CFM @ .250" S.P=13,180
    (1) 3HP 3PH MOTOR 230/460V. 60 HZ
    (1) MARK DYWER MANOMETER KIT DEFINES AIR FLOW PRESSURE
    (1) SET OF EXHAUST FILTERS
    (1) SET OF INTAKE TACKY FILTERS
    (1) HARDWARE SET FOR ASSEMBLY; NUTS & BOLTS AND SCREWS.
    (1) INSTALLATION EXPLODED VIEW DRAWING & PERMIT KIT: BOOTH ELEVATIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS.
    ALL COMPONENTS ARE UL APPROVED
    s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (10).jpg

Last picture. He has already got the single phase converter for the booth and I don't have to pay for shipping. That's an extra $2500 right there. Mine won't have the suppression system or heater. He will take $8,000 for it.

s-l1600 (11).jpg
    Last edited by kcode; 12-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.

i think the galvanized panels look great. i wouldn't change a thing except lights if needed.

scratch that, i see it has led lights already. seems like a no brainer to me.
    b marler

Default Oh YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i think the galvanized panels look great. i wouldn't change a thing except lights if needed.

scratch that, i see it has led lights already. seems like a no brainer to me.
    From what he posted, this is a 'golden find'.

So, once again, I have to agree with you (I lost count how many times!)

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    From what he posted, this is a 'golden find'.

So, once again, I have to agree with you (I lost count how many times!)

Henry
    what can i say henry, great minds think alike!
    b marler

Last picture. He has already got the single phase converter for the booth and I don't have to pay for shipping. That's an extra $2500 right there. Mine won't have the suppression system or heater. He will take $8,000 for it.

s-l1600 (11).jpg
    Why haven't you already bought this booth, that's a steal? I bought a used booth that was 2 years old 30+ years ago and made some changes this year that you might be interested in. First, upgraded ventilation from negative to positive pressure (downdraft should already have that), increased blower intake to provide 6 air exchanges per minute from 4 ( your specs show a little under 4 exchanges per minute), made a huge difference. Installed Marlite FSB over galv. steel walls (remember I purchased my booth used and I have had it for over 30 years and was negative pressure, walls were covered in years of paint). I'm with henry and bmarler in that I love the galv walls. Lastly, I Upgraded to LED lights, another huge change and I would recommend doing this from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Why haven't you already bought this booth, that's a steal? I bought a used booth that was 2 years old 30+ years ago and made some changes this year that you might be interested in. First, upgraded ventilation from negative to positive pressure (downdraft should already have that), increased blower intake to provide 6 air exchanges per minute from 4 ( your specs show a little under 4 exchanges per minute), made a huge difference. Installed Marlite FSB over galv. steel walls (remember I purchased my booth used and I have had it for over 30 years and was negative pressure, walls were covered in years of paint). I'm with henry and bmarler in that I love the galv walls. Lastly, I Upgraded to LED lights, another huge change and I would recommend doing this from the start.

Sorry, meant to mention your VFD (variable frequency drive). When using a power converter you will loose around 20% of the intended power needed, might be another reason to look into your air exchange rate. With all this said, that booth is a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Sorry, meant to mention your VFD (variable frequency drive). When using a power converter you will loose around 20% of the intended power needed, might be another reason to look into your air exchange rate. With all this said, that booth is a steal.
    depending on how the converter was handled there may not be any power loss at all. i work extensively with vfd's and there are a ton of options for single phase drives without de-rating the output. they're pretty reasonably priced too. in fact, IF the fan can be run faster than design speed without stalling out or some other problem there's a possibility of gaining some on the exchange rating.
    but if the converter is a static converter or a motor driven converter things get more complicated due to power draw. i'm happy to discuss these things more, but maybe not in this paint booth thread unless it pertains to this project.
    i hope we haven't put too much pressure on kcode to buy and it turns out bad...
    b marler