TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1971 Plymouth Fury

Default Picklex 20

Used picklex 20 underneath my car after vigorous wire wheeling and wiping it down with wax and grease remover. This stuff is AWESOME! Smells like phosphoric acid but works way better. Sprayed it on, worked it into the surface with a maroon scuff pad, waited a few seconds, then wiped with wypalls. Takes any surface rust off, and rust that is "stuck" it turns it to a brownish color. I'll be buying a gallon soon.
    -Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Final result of clean and painting my undercarriage. 3 good coats of Zero Rust. The 1st 2 coats were brushed on. I then scuffed it all down with maroon scotchbrite. I then thined the ZR 10% with lacquer thinner and sprayed with my HVLP (actually LVLP) gun. Very happy with the result. I have much more to do but now i know the procedure. WD40, wire wheel. W&G remover, media blast tight spots, 2 inch min DA with 80 grit, wipe everything down with picklex 20, scuff with scotchbrite, blow off and wipe with lintfree wipes, and finally 3 Coats of ZR. The many hours spent were worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default NICE!!!

WOW, that looks better than factory. The ZR is a great product for us and if you didn't know already, it's been adopted in use for BRIDGE repair across the states.

That's a lot of work you did and it shows very well. Imagine when you get the top surfaces done. When complete get that car APPRAISED then insured for "STATED VALUE" which is cheap insurance with full coverage and a pay out to you of appraised value. Start asking around now about who specializes in classic vehicle "stated appraised value" insurance. Don't use your regular insurance carrier for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted. Good job!

Henry

what a difference! i love how good it looks when you complete a task like that. it does take time though, as you found out, but those nasty undercarriage parts can come back looking like new.
    b marler