TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: My 1971 Plymouth Fury

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default Picklex 20

    Used picklex 20 underneath my car after vigorous wire wheeling and wiping it down with wax and grease remover. This stuff is AWESOME! Smells like phosphoric acid but works way better. Sprayed it on, worked it into the surface with a maroon scuff pad, waited a few seconds, then wiped with wypalls. Takes any surface rust off, and rust that is "stuck" it turns it to a brownish color. I'll be buying a gallon soon.
    -Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Final result of clean and painting my undercarriage. 3 good coats of Zero Rust. The 1st 2 coats were brushed on. I then scuffed it all down with maroon scotchbrite. I then thined the ZR 10% with lacquer thinner and sprayed with my HVLP (actually LVLP) gun. Very happy with the result. I have much more to do but now i know the procedure. WD40, wire wheel. W&G remover, media blast tight spots, 2 inch min DA with 80 grit, wipe everything down with picklex 20, scuff with scotchbrite, blow off and wipe with lintfree wipes, and finally 3 Coats of ZR. The many hours spent were worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    19,420

    Default NICE!!!

    WOW, that looks better than factory. The ZR is a great product for us and if you didn't know already, it's been adopted in use for BRIDGE repair across the states.

    That's a lot of work you did and it shows very well. Imagine when you get the top surfaces done. When complete get that car APPRAISED then insured for "STATED VALUE" which is cheap insurance with full coverage and a pay out to you of appraised value. Start asking around now about who specializes in classic vehicle "stated appraised value" insurance. Don't use your regular insurance carrier for a variety of reasons.

    Thanks for the update and keep us posted. Good job!

    Henry

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    what a difference! i love how good it looks when you complete a task like that. it does take time though, as you found out, but those nasty undercarriage parts can come back looking like new.
    b marler

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    WOW, that looks better than factory. The ZR is a great product for us and if you didn't know already, it's been adopted in use for BRIDGE repair across the states.

    That's a lot of work you did and it shows very well. Imagine when you get the top surfaces done. When complete get that car APPRAISED then insured for "STATED VALUE" which is cheap insurance with full coverage and a pay out to you of appraised value. Start asking around now about who specializes in classic vehicle "stated appraised value" insurance. Don't use your regular insurance carrier for a variety of reasons.

    Thanks for the update and keep us posted. Good job!

    Henry
    Thanks! Probably the trickiest task i took on too.
    I was thinking of having it appraised like you said. I'll have to do some shopping around for a good company. I had collector insurance on another Fury exactly like this one but a civilian model. They only gave me $7k coverage on it. Going to need something better than that for this car.
    Now the next step is removing the rear for a complete rebuild, refinish, and rebuild/refinish the leaf springs.
    Thanks again for your advice!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    what a difference! i love how good it looks when you complete a task like that. it does take time though, as you found out, but those nasty undercarriage parts can come back looking like new.
    Thanks! It's very satisfying when you put in the time and it turns out like this.
    I did a lot of reading on this forum and this is the result!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    20211109_213522.jpg20211109_213706.jpg
    Finally prepped and painted the outside of my rear frame rails and wheel wells, a year later!. Zero Rust is awesome paint! Are there any recommendations for additional coatings on the inside of my wheelwells, or should i just leave it Zero rust paint?
    Thanks!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 71Fury View Post
    Finally prepped and painted the outside of my rear frame rails and wheel wells, a year later!. Zero Rust is awesome paint! Are there any recommendations for additional coatings on the inside of my wheelwells, or should i just leave it Zero rust paint?
    Thanks!
    As long as you have a couple of coats of ZR that's all you need to protect the metal. I usually recommend at least two or three coats.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    As long as you have a couple of coats of ZR that's all you need to protect the metal. I usually recommend at least two or three coats.
    Ok thanks Len! I have 2 good coats on it, on top of picklex 20.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •