TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Zero rust, hardener?

Default Zero rust, hardener?

Hi all,
    I'm restoring my 1971 Plymouth Fury. I have a couple questions with regard to zero rust. I see Len recommends it, so I've decided to give it a try. I want to use it on the underside of my car. How much would i need, approximately? Would a gallon be a good start? Also, i read somewhere that you can use a hardener with it. Would it improve it's durability? What brand/kind of hardener would i use?
    Thanks in advance!
    -Marc

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fury View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm restoring my 1971 Plymouth Fury. I have a couple questions with regard to zero rust. I see Len recommends it, so I've decided to give it a try. I want to use it on the underside of my car. How much would i need, approximately? Would a gallon be a good start? Also, i read somewhere that you can use a hardener with it. Would it improve it's durability? What brand/kind of hardener would i use?
    Thanks in advance!
    -Marc
    Hi Mark, I've never used hardener with ZR, I just use a decent thinner or reducer and I apply at least two coats allowing the first coat to dry a little before applying the second. A gallon should be enough for two coats but it depends on the size and scope of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Hi Mark, I've never used hardener with ZR, I just use a decent thinner or reducer and I apply at least two coats allowing the first coat to dry a little before applying the second. A gallon should be enough for two coats but it depends on the size and scope of the job.
    I'll start out with 1 gallon and see how far i get. Thanks Len!

Len, do you recommend anything to top coat ZR with? Or is it rugged on it's own? Need something that will survive these roads here in NJ, as this car will be a driver.
    Thanks
    -Marc

Len, do you recommend anything to top coat ZR with? Or is it rugged on it's own? Need something that will survive these roads here in NJ, as this car will be a driver.
    Thanks
    -Marc
    Hi Marc
    Thanks for your order.

I normally put three coats of ZR on and it holds up great and is easy to recoat if you should damage it.
    Thin the ZR a little then lower the pressure on your gun so that you don't create a lot of overspray and take your time spraying.
    Be sure to spray so that you don't have anything downwind that can be damaged by overspray because the ZR stays wet in the air.

Funny, I'll be in Browns Mills at 4m but orders are shipped from southern warehouses so I can't deliver it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Hi Marc
    Thanks for your order.

I normally put three coats of ZR on and it holds up great and is easy to recoat if you should damage it.
    Thin the ZR a little then lower the pressure on your gun so that you don't create a lot of overspray and take your time spraying.
    Be sure to spray so that you don't have anything downwind that can be damaged by overspray because the ZR stays wet in the air.

Funny, I'll be in Browns Mills at 4m but orders are shipped from southern warehouses so I can't deliver it myself.
    No problem, thanks for having reasonable prices 👍. Is there anything specific you would use to reduce it? I think i read xylene can be used?
    Yep I'm a browns millionaire lol lived here my whole life 37yrs I'm pretty much stuck! I see you're located in Southampton, I'm pretty familiar with the area Small world.
    Thanks again and take care
    -Marc

No problem, thanks for having reasonable prices 👍. Is there anything specific you would use to reduce it? I think i read xylene can be used?
    Yep I'm a browns millionaire lol lived here my whole life 37yrs I'm pretty much stuck! I see you're located in Southampton, I'm pretty familiar with the area Small world.
    Thanks again and take care
    -Marc
    Most of the time we use a little lacquer thinner so that it sprays easier but don't over do it..

Ok i have a brand new gallon, that'll work👍