TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Can you / how to flow coat matte clear?

Default Can you / how to flow coat matte clear?

Novice painter here.
    I'm working on a motorcycle paint job that will have multiple layers of color and I plan to use PPG's matte clear.

I want a ridge-free finish so you cant feel the different layers of base coat.

I've read to do this with gloss clear you do the following:

- Spray all your base coat graphics
    - 2-3 coats of clear
    - Let it dry then wet sand to smooth all the ridges from BC masking
    - Spray a "flow coat" of clear with extra reducer to get the glossy ridge-free finish.

My question is, can I do the same with matte clear coat?
    Do I use gloss for the first application of clear and then matte just for the final flow coat, or the matte for both applications?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWDave View Post
    Novice painter here.
    I'm working on a motorcycle paint job that will have multiple layers of color and I plan to use PPG's matte clear.

I want a ridge-free finish so you cant feel the different layers of base coat.

I've read to do this with gloss clear you do the following:

- Spray all your base coat graphics
    - 2-3 coats of clear
    - Let it dry then wet sand to smooth all the ridges from BC masking
    - Spray a "flow coat" of clear with extra reducer to get the glossy ridge-free finish.

My question is, can I do the same with matte clear coat?
    Do I use gloss for the first application of clear and then matte just for the final flow coat, or the matte for both applications?
    That's exactly right. Spray the gloss clear level it using some 1000 or 1200 grit wet sandpaper until the ridges are leveled then apply your matte clear. Depending on the film build of the gloss clear (and the severity of the ridges) you may need more than three coats of gloss clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That's exactly right. Spray the gloss clear level it using some 1000 or 1200 grit wet sandpaper until the ridges are leveled then apply your matte clear. Depending on the film build of the gloss clear (and the severity of the ridges) you may need more than three coats of gloss clear.
    Great, thanks for the feedback.